Help me find the umph in my 360

-
K... before you put it all together take off the rockers and spin the cam by hand in the block, if a bolt got between the sprocket and a chain it could easily have bent the cam. (if you reuse the cam.. best to check that anyway) I'm glad it's nothing TOO bad though..

P.S. Blue loctite next time :)
yeah i'm not going to reuse this cam. i honestly didn't like it because of the power band was from mid to high. Didnt work very well with idle stop light surging and light cruise surging.

yeah i'm not going to reuse this cam. i honestly didn't like it because of the power band was from mid to high. Didnt work very well with idle stop light surging and light cruise surging.
cool.. and yeah.. keeping it fun to drive is a big thing :) I got rid of my 71 challenger cause i swapped cams and hated the car after words (.484 purpleshaft to a .509)

Last edited:
I know guys have said this already but it could have been worse. You're doing a great job of researching and I hope you get it together and back on the road real soon. Good luck!

Here are the good Melling SPD-22 Camshafts.

Same grind as the famous mopar 340 cam. Have used them multiple times with geat success.

Performance and run nice too.
For sale on ebay and in stock too.

Screenshot_20230713-082710_Firefox.jpg

20230713_082904.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Here are the good Melling SPD-22 Camshafts.

Same grind as the famous mopar 340 cam. Have used them multiple times with geat success.

Performance and run nice too.
For sale on ebay and in stock too.

View attachment 1716114020

View attachment 1716114021

☆☆☆☆☆
Would that lift be ok or to small for the springs on the speedmaster heads? speedmaster advertises the spring rate up to 600 lift

keep the cam get a set of rhoads vari duration lifters
those heads like that cam over 3500
it will have strong low end and idle like a stock cam vacuum wise if you have 12@idle you will have 15 to 16
drop your duration@50 to 213 to 218 from 228 after 3500 rpm you get full lift and duration
i have used them on 3 motors they work
243@50 g/k cam
484 purple shaft cam
474 purple shaft cam

Not sure what spring rate you have on the speed master heads.

Like to see a lighter spring rate on the springs for breaking in the cam and lifters.

Once the cam is broke in then you switch out the springs to the recommended ones.

Want to lighten up the load a bit during break in with all the "Chewing Up Cam" problems people have been having at break in.

Single coil springs are better choice for break in vs the double coils.

☆☆☆☆☆

Not sure what spring rate you have on the speed master heads.

Like to see a lighter spring rate on the springs for breaking in the cam and lifters.

Once the cam is broke in then you switch out the springs to the recommended ones.

Want to lighten up the load a bit during break in with all the "Chewing Up Cam" problems people have been having at break in.

Single coil springs are better choice for break in vs the double coils.

☆☆☆☆☆
I must of gotten lucky on this summit cam because i used the heads to break in the cam. Granted i used a ton of zinc additive also.

I have never seen an actual chain break, but a little loctite on the bolts may have prevented it.
This next go around I will put loctite on the bolts this go around. Based off the engine rebuild books they say just torque the bolts to spec and I did that. So yes now that this happened I'm definitely adding loctite to the bolts. Also where can I get the chain oil slinger that goes with one of the bolts? I know you can use the circle slinger that goes on the crank. But where can I find the one that goes on the bottom left bolt? I can't find one. I'm getting my parts list together.

I'll be honest.. i have rarely loctited anything or actually used torque specs on things like that retainer plate.. i think you just had bad luck this time.. i will be loctiting everything now though :)

This next go around I will put loctite on the bolts this go around. Based off the engine rebuild books they say just torque the bolts to spec and I did that. So yes now that this happened I'm definitely adding loctite to the bolts. Also where can I get the chain oil slinger that goes with one of the bolts? I know you can use the circle slinger that goes on the crank. But where can I find the one that goes on the bottom left bolt? I can't find one. I'm getting my parts list together.
https://hughesengines.com/Index/pro...vel2=RW5naW5lIEhhcmR3YXJlIEZpbmlzaGluZyBLaXQ=

I would not change the camshaft, but degree it as I outlined. The cam you have is fine, it's just in the wrong position in the engine. It will ultimately make more power advanced more than a smaller cam would. But you seem dead set on changing it, so go for it.

Check mancini's for the slinger.

I would not change the camshaft, but degree it as I outlined. The cam you have is fine, it's just in the wrong position in the engine. It will ultimately make more power advanced more than a smaller cam would. But you seem dead set on changing it, so go for it.
I'm worried the way the chained was jammed and snapped from the bolts falling out that it could of created a micro fracture on the cam that i cant see.. I'm not sure if I want to risk it.

That September ship date makes me want to puke. I can't believe there is that bad of a back order on parts

That September ship date makes me want to puke. I can't believe there is that bad of a back order on parts
Email howards and ask them if they have that cam in stock.. mine said months also and i emailed them and had it in 3 days

-
Back