Help me find the umph in my 360

-
jesus. i have never seen that happen before.... sucks but gonna have to fix it anyway.. dig in and verify :(
One of my guys at work is going to go grab his trailer at lunch and I will get it home on the trailer. After that who knows I guess I will start breaking it down. Only maybe 100 miles on the engine.

Sadly it's all part of doing cars.. you will get it fixed and move on :) just sucks for now

Ok. Allitle more detail so the cam is definitely not spinning had a guy watch the cam while kicking the key... nothing pulled the valve cover none of the rockers move. And all the rockers look like this in the picture. They all look like they are sitting on the base circle

20230712_085342.jpg

Ok. Allitle more detail so the cam is definitely not spinning had a guy watch the cam while kicking the key... nothing pulled the valve cover none of the rockers move. And all the rockers look like this in the picture. They all look like they are sitting on the base circle

View attachment 1716113663
Wow.. ok.. that's very odd... very interested to see what you find now...

I decided to do a breakdown at least get the intake manifold off the engine and see what the cam looks while I was on my 1 hour lunch break. So in the valley there was a chunk if metal that looked to be the end of the cam retainer plate. I stuck my fingers inside the 2 sight holes from inside the valley and still fealt the cam gear and chain still attached. So I'm wondering if the front part of the cam snapped where I can't see it. Or the woodruff key stripped out of the cam and caused the cam retainer plate to snap. And that's why the cam isn't moving when cranking because the gear is just gliding around the cam.

20230712_121240.jpg

I decided to do a breakdown at least get the intake manifold off the engine and see what the cam looks while I was on my 1 hour lunch break. So in the valley there was a chunk if metal that looked to be the end of the cam retainer plate. I stuck my fingers inside the 2 sight holes from inside the valley and still fealt the cam gear and chain still attached. So I'm wondering if the front part of the cam snapped where I can't see it. Or the woodruff key stripped out of the cam and caused the cam retainer plate to snap. And that's why the cam isn't moving when cranking because the gear is just gliding around the cam.

View attachment 1716113726

Possible.. also could just be the key on the crank sheared.... at least so far nothing looks too bad

ITS GOT TO BE THE TIMING CHAIN SNAPPED. BRAND NEW CLOYES DOUBLE CHAIN. I MARKED THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT WITH A MARKER ON ONE OF THE TEETH. BUMPED THE KEY TWICE. AND IT DIDNT MOVE.
Cloyes is not a good brand anymore. They're now made overseas. Have been for some time. I hope that's not the problem. If it is, you've bent some valves too, most likely.

This is very disheartening and hurts.
I've been there. It's frustrating, but it's all part of the hobby. With everything that happens, good or bad, you're learning and in the end that's a good thing.

Cloyes is not a good brand anymore. They're now made overseas. Have been for some time. I hope that's not the problem. If it is, you've bent some valves too, most likely.
Wouldn't the pushrods show some type of bent if the valve touched the pistons? That's the weirdest thing inspecting all the the lobes, pushrods everything looks normal on the cam except what I can't see on the opposite side of timing chain cover.

Wouldn't the pushrods show some type of bent if the valve touched the pistons? That's the weirdest thing inspecting all the the lobes, pushrods everything looks normal on the cam except what I can't see on the opposite side of timing chain cover.
no.. could bend a little and not bend a pushrod.. no matter what, when you replace the sheared key.. run a compression test on all cyls before starting it.. then you will know for sure.. so far it's not looking too bad though

Maybe, maybe not.

Have you determined what's wrong yet?

I can check the pistons with a borascope Camera i have at the house also to see if there was any valve hitting. Also either way since I'm going to tear this thing apart I'm going to get a better camshaft that's made for what my engine is. Since it is a low compression engine. So what would be a good brand camshaft and timing chain?

I can check the pistons with a borascope Camera i have at the house also to see if there was any valve hitting. Also either way since I'm going to tear this thing apart I'm going to get a better camshaft that's made for what my engine is. Since it is a low compression engine. So what would be a good brand camshaft and timing chain?
Lets not put the cart before the horse. Find out what's wrong first.

I went with a Trick flow Billet chain.... $99 but i won't worry bout it ever messing up.

With your low compression pistons, along with the motor shutting down almost as soon as this happened, maybe not. But I agree with Icetech's answer, too (#112). Also, one or more valve heads could be bent, but pushrods OK. Stranger things have happened.

^^^but keep plugging, one foot ahead of the other, one at a time. You will get it and figure it out and have learned a lot in the process.

With your low compression pistons, along with the motor shutting down almost as soon as this happened, maybe not. But I agree with Icetech's answer, too (#112). Also, one or more valve heads could be bent, but pushrods OK. Stranger things have happened.
That will be his saving grace, I believe. Pistons down over .100" in the hole might have saved him.

Ugg somehow 2 retaining plate bolts came loose and fell. And snapped the timing chain and snapped the retaining plate it 2 spots. Also the oil spreader got shredded also. I torqued these bolts to spec. And I have no idea how two of them fell out.

20230712_190420.jpg

20230712_185453.jpg

20230712_185443.jpg

I bet dollars to doughnuts the camshaft sprocket wasn't bottomed all the way and was wedged on crooked causing the bolts not to bottom properly. I've seen that exact thing happen before. Hopefully, that's the extent of it.

I bet dollars to doughnuts the camshaft sprocket wasn't bottomed all the way and was wedged on crooked causing the bolts not to bottom properly. I've seen that exact thing happen before. Hopefully, that's the extent of it.
I checked the inside on the spark plug holes and looked at all my pistons with my parascope. There is no nicks from the valves that I saw. So I think I'm fine there.
So I'm starting to add parts to buy from Mancini racing that replaces what has been broken. I do want to go ahead and just spend the money on a new cam that better suites my low compression. So what is a good cam that is great for low compression that keeps vaccum high enough for my power brakes, and has around a 480 lift with keeping the power band from 1300s to 5500 range that better suites my stock converter? I'm allitle iffy on the comp cams with the lifter issues from them.

K... before you put it all together take off the rockers and spin the cam by hand in the block, if a bolt got between the sprocket and a chain it could easily have bent the cam. (if you reuse the cam.. best to check that anyway) I'm glad it's nothing TOO bad though..

P.S. Blue loctite next time

Last edited:
-
Back