Help me find the umph in my 360

-
Small update: The warranty speed master heads came in, I dropped them off at ar1 performance engines to have them gone over. This guy is awesome. He said this is the first mopar speedmaster heads hes gone through. He has done a ton of Chevy and ford speedmaster heads already so he already knows what to look for where speedmaster lacks on what they use. Hopefully it won't be to bad on what he finds. The engine is out finally, it's been brutal on the tempature here in arkansas, yesterday the heat finally took a break and we finally had a mid 80s temp. Perfect time to pull the engine. Parts are starting to show up, still waiting on my order from Mancini that has my timing chain set and other parts. Went ahead and got a new timing cover and new water pump as well just for ease of mind. The howards cam is here. I'm happy I ordered when I did because it was the last camshaft and lifter kit that I wanted on their shelf. They said if I didn't order it in time it could take months to get another one because they are waiting on more cores to grind. Either way it's starting to look up and up. It did hurt having to pull the engine after only driving the car 3 times to work. "Several other small drives also for tuning purposes". But it is what it is and I learned my lesson.

20230722_100543.jpg

20230722_114925.jpg

Small update: The warranty speed master heads came in, I dropped them off at ar1 performance engines to have them gone over. This guy is awesome. He said this is the first mopar speedmaster heads hes gone through. He has done a ton of Chevy and ford speedmaster heads already so he already knows what to look for where speedmaster lacks on what they use. Hopefully it won't be to bad on what he finds. The engine is out finally, it's been brutal on the tempature here in arkansas, yesterday the heat finally took a break and we finally had a mid 80s temp. Perfect time to pull the engine. Parts are starting to show up, still waiting on my order from Mancini that has my timing chain set and other parts. Went ahead and got a new timing cover and new water pump as well just for ease of mind. The howards cam is here. I'm happy I ordered when I did because it was the last camshaft and lifter kit that I wanted on their shelf. They said if I didn't order it in time it could take months to get another one because they are waiting on more cores to grind. Either way it's starting to look up and up. It did hurt having to pull the engine after only driving the car 3 times to work. "Several other small drives also for tuning purposes". But it is what it is and I learned my lesson.

View attachment 1716118529

View attachment 1716118530
Yup. It's out! Following along! Good luck! Keep us posted!

Might have been the quickest. I know they whooped the Corvettes of the year. Pretty embarrassing for Chevy.
Kind of like the Buick Regals and Grand Nationals that were quicker than the Corvettes. A 3.8L V6 whupping a 5.7L 'vette sure soured the Chubby guys milk. Chubby's flag ship getting whupped by an old man sedan.

Kind of like the Buick Regals and Grand Nationals that were quicker than the Corvettes. A 3.8L V6 whupping a 5.7L 'vette sure soured the Chubby guys milk. Chubby's flag ship getting whupped by an old man sedan.
I remember those cars WELL. Went to school with a guy that got a T type Regal shortly after we got out. A perrofmance chip and slicks and that car went deep into the 11s.

Small update: I get to go get the heads from the shop tomorrow. Only thing he did was hone the valve guides out. Other than that he didnt see anything else wrong with the heads. So hopefully I can get the engine back together this week and get it started up this weekend. Just got to fight this heat

My 1987 5.0 5spd coupe beat the 84 to 87 vettes as well i was trapping 98.73 mph running 14.2 the 87 vettes were 96 97 mph the stockish gns were 98 99 mph they sucked me 2 cars out of the hole everytime zero traction in my coupe had to slip the clutch 2.12 best 60 foot hooked better on the street. From a 20 mph role he coudnt get by me it was even to 127mph the factory gn fuel shutoff kicked in and it was bye bye. Car cost $10100 new it was biggest sleeper there was shipping weight 2750

Small update: I get to go get the heads from the shop tomorrow. Only thing he did was hone the valve guides out. Other than that he didnt see anything else wrong with the heads. So hopefully I can get the engine back together this week and get it started up this weekend. Just got to fight this heat
We get up to 75 and I am not likeing it much. But when we can get down to -40 in the winter, the heat is hard to deal with.

The 5.0's were the easiest cars to get into the high 12's - low 13's. This was done without a cam or cylinder head change. They responded well to bolt ons modifications

The 5.0's were the easiest cars to get into the high 12's - low 13's. This was done without a cam or cylinder head change. They responded well to bolt ons modifications
I recall many police departments had those cars... and many were wrecked because the driver could not control them! They were certainly lightweight in the rear!

Remember the Lil Red Express trucks? They were the fastest domestic production vehicles in 78 and 79. 8.5:1 360. .....and those engines were pullin a heavy truck.
Factory? Actually blueprinted out they came back slightly below 8:1

Factory? Actually blueprinted out they came back slightly below 8:1
I meant factory "rated" of course. You're right though. Actual was probably in the 8:1 area and maybe less. I've never measured an E58 engine. I have a regular 2 barrel passenger car engine and it was under 8:1. I think most things through the smog era were on par with the Chrysler engines, since no one make was markedly faster or quicker.

I recall many police departments had those cars... and many were wrecked because the driver could not control them! They were certainly lightweight in the rear!
They were lightweight in the back. It was said that the California highway patrol 5.0's had a thicker floor pan than the other mustang's to help reduce flex

They were lightweight in the back. It was said that the California highway patrol 5.0's had a thicker floor pan than the other mustang's to help reduce flex
the gn was low 12 without going into the motor dan the man
much easier to mod then the 5.0
more boost slicks exhaust low 12s

Another small update: all the parts are here and I'm slowly putting the engine back together.

20230726_165604.jpg

20230726_183454.jpg

I got a crank oil slinger. And I looked up that little dripper on this sight and alot of people said they don't use it.
I'm a believer that the factory wouldn't have spent money on it if there wasn't a purpose. I'm not going to argue with alot of people though.

I'm a believer that the factory wouldn't have spent money on it if there wasn't a purpose. I'm not going to argue with alot of people though.

Yeah, I would spray in a 50/50 mix of Lucas Oil Treatment and 10w30 motor oil through the fuel pump mount opening to coat the timing chain with some sticky lube for 1st Start Up.

Screenshot_20230727-160005_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

-
Back