Help me fix my wobbly windows!

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
OK so this has been something I have been ignoring since I got my '70 duster six years ago. When the door windows are anywhere in between fully up or down they wobble back and forth and squeak like crazy as I drive down the road. Looking at the window mechanisms it seems like there's supposed to be an "insert" that holds the window glass tightly to the vertical tracks. I have no idea the technical name or where to get it. What do I need to do to fix this annoying problem?

if you go to mymopars website, you can get the service and parts manuals (pdf downloads)

then you can get the part numbers / pictures.

you can get windows rubbers from classic industries
the window "fuzzies" (sweeper kits) you can get from justmopars.com
http://www.justmopar.com/store.php?crn=316

the other small parts/tracks etc if you can figure out the part number via the manuals you will be 99% of the way there
service manuals http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109
parts manuals http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=107

I'm following this one. My Dart Sport has the same rattle. The windows are usually down, but if not it is annoying as hell. I put in all new rubbers and fuzzies ... no help at all.

I'm following this one. My Dart Sport has the same rattle. The windows are usually down, but if not it is annoying as hell. I put in all new rubbers and fuzzies ... no help at all.

I did the same I put in new fuzzies earlier this year and just now put in all new window and door seals and now the problem is worse as the windows won't correctly roll up into the groove in the window seal. And it still makes that God-awful squeak lol.

So I actually have a 1970 Plymouth FSM, I found the page about the "ventless" door glass which what my car has.
vbpgimage.php

The parts I'm referring to are labeled "5" in the top picture (one in front, one in back); looking at my door assembly the passenger side still has a "spacer" within the track to hold the window "stabilizers" firmly in the track and not let the window flop around. However the front one on the pass. window is missing (causing it to still wobble) and BOTH are missing from the driver side window which I can't even adjust properly because it has so much play.

I have an extra door at home that has no panel on it. I think I'll look at it this weekend, and check the door on my Dart as well. It doesn't bother me a whole lot, because the windows are usually down, but since I read this post I have decided to fix it. Let me know what you find, and I'll let you know what I find.

OK I think I'm just gonna pull the glass and check it out it's not too hard to do. I know I need new hardware (up stops) on the driver window anyway.

I have the same problem I pulled both panels off the passenger side window has been replaced on my car with the wrong window but the drivers side is the correct window it rolled up and everything correctly and then I replaced the fuzzier and rubber thinking it would fix the problem on the passenger side but it made it much worse but while I had both panels off the drivers door has rollers in both front and rear vertical slots they are pretty worn out but I can't find them anywhere if anyone figures this out let me know same here if I figure it out I'll let you guys know

Wow, I had to stop watching, that IS annoying, even my dog cocked his head sideways.

I heard that. :)

I pulled the entire assemblies out and replaced the rollers with thick solid nylon washers and 1/4 inch pan head style bolts with nylon lock nuts in place of the old roller studs.
Of course I had to knock the old studs out and replace them with threaded shank bolts.
Then did the rubbers and whiskers.
Now the bolts and nuts allow WAY more adjustment at the top and bottom of the windows, along with the built in factory adjustments. (It was worth it)
Making sure the door latch and lock rods are covered with something non rattle like rubber tubing helped those a ton. (originally covered by a fiberglass material tube normally gone now)
I just split the tubing with an exacto knife and slipped it over the rods where they go under tabs in the door metal that guide the rods. (heavy grease on the rods there also)
A couple of well placed light springs can help with that also.

Grease the tracks and rollers with a real heavy grease, like HD wheel bearing grease so it doesn't melt and run out the bottom of your doors, (the heavier the quieter) and lube the pivot points of the mechanisms with the heaviest gear oil you can find (140wt is pretty good for those)

The factory rollers can be found at places like ebay for a pretty penny and occasionally on the wall at Autozone and places like that but it takes a fair amount of persistance and patience to find them for $2.99 and a package of three. (each door on a Dart takes 5 if memory serves)

It was a lot of work the way I did it, but even if you use the factory parts the heavy lubes help a ton with rattles.
That, the latch/lock rods, new OEM rollers and the window rubbers will be a big improvement.

I heard that. :)

I pulled the entire assemblies out and replaced the rollers with thick solid nylon washers and 1/4 inch pan head style bolts with nylon lock nuts in place of the old roller studs.
Of course I had to knock the old studs out and replace them with threaded shank bolts.
Then did the rubbers and whiskers.
Now the bolts and nuts allow WAY more adjustment at the top and bottom of the windows, along with the built in factory adjustments. (It was worth it)
Making sure the door latch and lock rods are covered with something non rattle like rubber tubing helped those a ton. (originally covered by a fiberglass material tube normally gone now)
I just split the tubing with an exacto knife and slipped it over the rods where they go under tabs in the door metal that guide the rods. (heavy grease on the rods there also)
A couple of well placed light springs can help with that also.

Grease the tracks and rollers with a real heavy grease, like HD wheel bearing grease so it doesn't melt and run out the bottom of your doors, (the heavier the quieter) and lube the pivot points of the mechanisms with the heaviest gear oil you can find (140wt is pretty good for those)

The factory rollers can be found at places like ebay for a pretty penny and occasionally on the wall at Autozone and places like that but it takes a fair amount of persistance and patience to find them for $2.99 and a package of three. (each door on a Dart takes 5 if memory serves)

It was a lot of work the way I did it, but even if you use the factory parts the heavy lubes help a ton with rattles.
That, the latch/lock rods, new OEM rollers and the window rubbers will be a big improvement.

So I know it's been a while, still haven't really taken the time to fix this problem and for some reason missed that last post. TrailBeast any chance you could post some pics of your setup? I think I understand the mods you did but a visual aid would be awesome. I like the thought of doing away with the soft factory pieces that wear away over time, I'm guessing your windows are in there EXTRA solid now after those mods...? I'm jealous fantasizing about driving down the freeway with the window half lowered and being able to fully raise it back up without it being pulled out by the wind and missing the window seal ARGHH

So I know it's been a while, still haven't really taken the time to fix this problem and for some reason missed that last post. TrailBeast any chance you could post some pics of your setup? I think I understand the mods you did but a visual aid would be awesome. I like the thought of doing away with the soft factory pieces that wear away over time, I'm guessing your windows are in there EXTRA solid now after those mods...? I'm jealous fantasizing about driving down the freeway with the window half lowered and being able to fully raise it back up without it being pulled out by the wind and missing the window seal ARGHH

Sorry, I didn't take pics when I did it.
As long as you replace the worn stuff with new you should be good.
And yes I can drive down the freeway and roll my windows up or down without a problem. (even at over 100):D

Sorry:D

Greg

Sorry, I didn't take pics when I did it.
As long as you replace the worn stuff with new you should be good.
And yes I can drive down the freeway and roll my windows up or down without a problem. (even at over 100):D

Sorry:D

Greg

LOL "You A**hole!!" :wtf::D

Alright so now that the Duster has been back on the road the past few months it's time to tackle this problem once and for all. I met a younger guy (as in 17, I'm 28) in town who has a restored '72 Duster (he is a member on here, @John_Lemon ) and his windows are rock-solid; he said his wobbled just like mine until he installed new felt/rubber cat whisker seals. I think I will order a set of those, any recommendations for sources? I like Jim's Parts they seem to have the widest selection of parts and have been in business for the longest of the resto companies I've looked at, but a set of cat whiskers from them requires 2-3 week lead time. I see Classic Industries also has them, as well as Dante's Parts. Do they all come from the same source/company? I may also just call up Jim's or Dante's and see what they say. It seems like having the correct cat whiskers is crucial in keeping the windows stable, a few years back I put some felt-only ones in but they didn't really hold the windows at all and didn't help the problem (they were from an auto upholstery/trim shop, not specific to the car).

Also I read through @TrailBeast 's post a couple more times to understand what he did, I don't think I need to replace any rollers but definitely need new up-stop thingies (plastic pieces that go through the glass) and the rubber on the up-stop brackets in the doors has deteriorated and fallen off. I'm not sure if one of the complete door glass hardware kits are needed ($70 off Dante's not exactly cheap) but it might be a good idea just to take care of the whole shebang.

Alright so now that the Duster has been back on the road the past few months it's time to tackle this problem once and for all. I met a younger guy (as in 17, I'm 28) in town who has a restored '72 Duster (he is a member on here, @John_Lemon ) and his windows are rock-solid; he said his wobbled just like mine until he installed new felt/rubber cat whisker seals. I think I will order a set of those, any recommendations for sources? I like Jim's Parts they seem to have the widest selection of parts and have been in business for the longest of the resto companies I've looked at, but a set of cat whiskers from them requires 2-3 week lead time. I see Classic Industries also has them, as well as Dante's Parts. Do they all come from the same source/company? I may also just call up Jim's or Dante's and see what they say. It seems like having the correct cat whiskers is crucial in keeping the windows stable, a few years back I put some felt-only ones in but they didn't really hold the windows at all and didn't help the problem (they were from an auto upholstery/trim shop, not specific to the car).

Also I read through @TrailBeast 's post a couple more times to understand what he did, I don't think I need to replace any rollers but definitely need new up-stop thingies (plastic pieces that go through the glass) and the rubber on the up-stop brackets in the doors has deteriorated and fallen off. I'm not sure if one of the complete door glass hardware kits are needed ($70 off Dante's not exactly cheap) but it might be a good idea just to take care of the whole shebang.

I got Top Cat brand from Ebay, and they are just fine.
Top Cat Duster window whiskers - Google Search

Keep in mind that even though you replace the whiskers the bottom of the glass needs to be stable as well or the glass just waves back and forth anyway.

Also, here's a little trick you might like to use.
I HATE rattles, so I rolled the glass down to where the top of the glass was still between the felts and whiskers but down even with the top of the door and then lightly crimped the tracks right under the roller in the track.
This way when the windows are down the rollers are pinched tight so they can't rattle in the tracks.
(Don't tell anybody my secret):D

Hello R&D, sorry for the slow reply, I believe you spoke with my son, we still have the note here that you left him on his windshield. This is supposed to be a joint account between he and I but he rarely comes on here. His car, his nickle, I'm just his unpaid goon.
If I remember correctly we purchased the felts from Mopar & AMC muscle car restoration gaskets Detroit Muscle Technologies, LLC.
Small shop, great guys to work with. There is a small trick to get them in that we learned the hard way that we will gladly share if interested.
Thanks for the compliment, yes his doors and windows are rock solid. Dad wouldn't have it any other way.

I just thought of something else.
We put new door glass in and when we did we replaced all the nylon bushings that hold the glass to the window regulator. The originals fell apart when we removed them. I'm sure that had allot to do with the stability of the windows as well. Cheap kit from 521 Restorations right here in Fort Fun.

Jeff is a great guy and great resource here locally.

Last edited:
-
Back