Help me hook this thing up... I have the Chevy guys gunnin' for me...

-

Magster65

Reaction score
Assistance required!
I have some lazy fat Chevy pals that are lickin their greasy chops for me to get my Dart finished so they can kick my ***. (lol... good friends).
It can't happen though... they brag too much. My engine is almost ready for the dyno tune and I need some opinions now on how to hook it up with leaf springs. I want the sleeper look as much as possible and yes I'm going to do the torque boxes and frame connectors.
Everyone asks so the engine is a zero deck 408 / 10.8 forged / air gap / 750 QF / cam specs below / ported eddys / balanced / msd etc... I have a 727 that I can do any kit or manual shift and any converter and an 8 3/4 posi with no gear set yet.
I don't care what I have to do... these guys can't win! You know how it is! :)
They are;
* 67 Chevelle 496 bb 5 speed
* 66 Chevelle 502 bb auto
* 68 Camaro 434 sb 4 speed
All quick cars especially the Camaro
None hook up pefectly so I have a chance...
Any help is greatly appreaciated!

Cam specs Lunati Voodoo
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 234/242
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .513/.533
  • LSA/ICL: 110/106

20161126_140037.jpg

20171016_123447.jpg

20171016_123737.jpg

carb n intake.jpg

For starters, some D.O.T. approved Drag radial tires on the back are a must.

Traction and chassis ,number one . What's, the budget? Always traction and chassis,in initial setup.

your motor sounds like a really good build....I can't wait to hear the dyno numbers

Superstock springs and a adjustable pinion snubber or the new tech Caltracs. The Caltracs take away from the sleeper look. I already have superstock springs and a snubber on my car but with the new 416 being built I will be doing the suspension shuffle again I'm sure.

What tire are you going to run? If it were me I'd put a set of cal-tracs on it and use the factory springs for now, also a decent set of shocks. I've never cared for the jacked up look that come with SS springs, but some people like it.

Your engine is going to be a torque monster with that cam will probably be done pretty early in rpm's. I ran a Hughes hydraulic in my pump gas 340 with well ported Edelbrocks that was 236/242, .586/.592", 108 installed at 104. With 430 gears it was quickest shifting at 6400. I suspect that yours will be done around 5800-6000. It will be a fun ride!

Cal-Tracks are the only way to go, plus a mini tube, and wider wheels, keeping your hub caps would be key for that sleeper look, my 10 second Sleeper.
IMG_5874.JPG

Note, of course, the 'budget' was abandoned with the engine build ;)

This is it then?
* Caltracs for twist
* Spring relocation for more tire
* Good shocks for control
* Sticky tires for race day

My other questions are;
* Convertor? Mainly street use. Cam spec says 2800 rpm (for a 360) but I'm thinking a 2600 for the 408. We have a good converter guy in town (Dodge guy too). He can work his magic.
* Trans? 727 leaning toward the typical set up but I keep thinking about a manual valve body. Anyone tried both?
* Tire size? I think the best I can get with this stance is a 245 x 26-27". Is that correct?
* Gearing? Cam spec says 3.73 but Darts are fairly light and, if I have this right, the 408's torque does not really benefit from the lower gearing. Either a 3.23 or 3.55?

What are the chances that intake and carb will fit under the hood... none? If this is the case I'll need a scoop and the whole sleeper thing is out the window. Fine with that.
Thanks for your input.

Note, of course, the 'budget' was abandoned with the engine build ;)

This is it then?
* Caltracs for twist
* Spring relocation for more tire
* Good shocks for control
* Sticky tires for race day

My other questions are;
* Convertor? Mainly street use. Cam spec says 2800 rpm (for a 360) but I'm thinking a 2600 for the 408. We have a good converter guy in town (Dodge guy too). He can work his magic.
* Trans? 727 leaning toward the typical set up but I keep thinking about a manual valve body. Anyone tried both?
* Tire size? I think the best I can get with this stance is a 245 x 26-27". Is that correct?
* Gearing? Cam spec says 3.73 but Darts are fairly light and, if I have this right, the 408's torque does not really benefit from the lower gearing. Either a 3.23 or 3.55?

What are the chances that intake and carb will fit under the hood... none? If this is the case I'll need a scoop and the whole sleeper thing is out the window. Fine with that.
Thanks for your input.
I'm running a 4000 Stall with a Gear Vendor on the Street, NP at all !!! I'd run a 3000 you wanna Beat your Buddys RIGHT ?? very streetable @3000

I guess to J par's point, without knowing what your buddies run, we are just "throwing darts blindfolded". Are you chasing a 10.50 street car or a 13.80 street car? Huge, huge difference......
  • and another thing; there is a huge difference between a "true" 10 second street car and a street car with the capabilities to run 10's. In other words, some will tell ya "10.80's", but they don't say "with slicks, Open headers, 112 octane so I can go up 8* on timing where the car want's to run. That car with pump gas, street tires and closed exhaust may be slowed to a 11.60. So if you can find out what your buddies run, that would be huge

I guess to J par's point, without knowing what your buddies run, we are just "throwing darts blindfolded". Are you chasing a 10.50 street car or a 13.80 street car? Huge, huge difference......
  • and another thing; there is a huge difference between a "true" 10 second street car and a street car with the capabilities to run 10's. In other words, some will tell ya "10.80's", but they don't say "with slicks, Open headers, 112 octane so I can go up 8* on timing where the car want's to run. That car with pump gas, street tires and closed exhaust may be slowed to a 11.60. So if you can find out what your buddies run, that would be huge
Great Point !!

This could be easier than you think, do any of these guys actually have time slips?

I'll see if I can dig up some for you. My Dart is a street/strip deal and has ran a best et of 6.44 and the best mph of 108.60 and will run deep in the .30's. My pump gas 408 ran 6.57 @ 104 and change. It don't look like a bunny rabbit going down the track either.

I'll see if I can dig up some for you. My Dart is a street/strip deal and has ran a best et of 6.44 and the best mph of 108.60 and will run deep in the .30's. My pump gas 408 ran 6.57 @ 104 and change. It don't look like a bunny rabbit going down the track either.
I think J par is talking about the OP's buddies.... he asked if "any of these guys" ... meaning the Op's buddies

I think J par is talking about the OP's buddies.... he asked if "any of these guys" ... meaning the Op's buddies
the 502 crate motors are dogs. the bigger stroker , kinda depends. The big small block is probly the one that`ll get you You need traction, headflow, cam, compression, and did I say heads ?

Yes I was talking about the original posters Buddies. If his Chevy buddies are anything like my Chevy buddies they talk a lot of big talk but when it's time to come out to the track they have no idea what they're doing. And my point was just going to be taking a daily driver and getting some experience at the track. And getting comfortable with lining up. I would say nine times out of 10 if you give a guy a 12 second car with a lot of experience he'll beet the guy with the 10-second car that has never actually had it at the track.

-
Back