Help me identify these carbs

-

PocketAces

Reaction score
I bought these carbs today along with a 65 4 bbl intake and chrome air cleaner. They're missing screws and the accelerator pump linkage, but I got them cheap.

I compared them to the pictures in the factory service manual and there are some obvious differences. In the pictures in the FSM the vacuum port for the PCV is between the mixture screws. On these carbs it's on the opposite side. Also there are differences in the air horn.

Can anyone tell me what these are? I can provide part numbers and better pictures if it helps. Let me know what you need.

View attachment P0001_042212.jpg

View attachment P0002_042212.jpg

View attachment P0003_042212.jpg

View attachment P0004_042212.jpg

You will need to post the carb numbers....are you looking to sell them?

they look alot like these, 500 cfm afb 1965

Attachments

• zs12.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 213
  • zs16.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 214
You will need to post the carb numbers....are you looking to sell them?

I was hoping one of them would be right for my 1965. Not trying to sell them yet. Just want to know what they are.

There's no tags on them. As I understand it, the part numbers on the various casting are not all that helpful. If there is a specific place to look for a number that helps, let me know.

they look alot like these, 500 cfm afb 1965

Definitely a lot of similarities. Those have the same big adjusting screw between the two smaller screws.

Both of mine have choke, whereas only one of these has a choke. I don't see a vacuum unloader in your picture.

Do you know anything about the article those came from? What car, what year, stock setup or custom?

this was the only other pic with those, if i remember it was a 65 plymouth wagon that ran in the E/SA class but thats all i know about it.

Attachments

• zs18.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 226
The big screw in the middle is the idle speed. it essentially causes a vacuum leak on purpose, IE let's air into the mix

The factory dual quad setups did not have a choke on the secondary carb, usually the front carb

I got a PM from Mrmopartech. I called him back and he was a wealth of information. Here's what I learned in case it benefits anyone else.

These carburetors are stamped on the front of the base just below the mounting bolt hole on the front passenger corner facing forward.

One of my carbs is stamped 3854S L4. The other is stamped 3854 H4.

3854 is for a 1965 273 with Automatic. http://www.hemmings.com/partslocator/carburetors.html

The letter number combination is a date code. H4 is Aug 64. L4 is December 64.

Apparently, the pictures in the Factory Service Manual are not all that accurate.

Thanks Mrmopartech. FABO rocks!

Apparently, the pictures in the Factory Service Manual are not all that accurate.

Part of the reason may simply be that there were differences in the various AFB's used on various engines, and remember, they were used all the way "up" to the hemi.

-
Back