Help Me Plan Out the New & Improved Shop

-

CudaChick1968

Leanna ~ The Mistress of Metal
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
As many of you already know, a tornado last month dropped a big oak tree on the south roof / wall of my 30x40 powder coating shop. The damage was so extensive the insurance adjuster totaled it.

View attachment IMG_3875.jpg

View attachment IMG_3881.jpg

The good news is that the check arrived on Friday and is supposed to be cleared by Wednesday, so the repairs can start very soon (whewwwww!).

The shop was fairly well organized -- Billy has one side for his projects / resto work and I have the other ....

View attachment IMG_2690.jpg

-- but there was MUCH room for improvement. That's where my FABO family comes in.

If you had the opportunity to start from scratch and build your Dream Shop, what would it include? I'm mainly looking at storage / organization options but feel free to add whatever strikes you; I'm sure there's lots of things that could prove to be beneficial that haven't occurred to me yet.

These are the fixtures I'm working with that are already here (you can see most of it in the third photo above):

7'x'4'x3' powder coating batch cure oven
Household oven
Mid-sized blast cabinet
8' x 4' work table
Spray rack
Large A-frame spray rack (motorcycle frames, rear ends, etc.)
Parts washer (rarely used)
Really crappy shelving (3 thin metal ones and one made out of 2x4s)
Upright inoperable freezer & fridge (powder / parts-in-progress storage)
Metal closet (blast cabinet accessories and miscellaneous storage)

There is a 16'x40' lean-to planned to go where the tree fell so Billy can store his Ford tractor, bush hog, sickle mower and projects that will also (hopefully) house a larger 8-foot blasting cabinet so that will free up a lot of extra space in the shop. How would ya'll fill up that extra space?

You have $15,000 in FABO money to play with. :-D Thanks in advance for sharing your dreams with me.

Me first ! location for each step off your work area add a floor drain close to that area :)
Inclose that area with a fresh air supply, that's it for know :)

Thanks Mike! That's something that has been badly needed for as long as we've lived here. Unfortunately, there isn't enough in the insurance proceeds to provide for a new slab or penetrating the existing one for pipes and a drain.

There's some spiderweb cracking in the corner where the tree hit but it's not that bad. I'm sure time, living close to the New Madrid fault and temperature changes will make it worse in the future.

View attachment IMG_3991.jpg

The people who "leveled" the slab in the 80s didn't do a very good job -- it always puddles in a few very inconvenient areas when we wash the shop out (maybe I should've included the 36" squeegie in the fixtures listing lol).

The fresh air intake's a great idea too. :-D

Keep them coming .......

What comes to mind for me is make a list of the things you didn't like about your old shop. Also try to design your work area so the things you use often are in the height 'zone' where you don't have to bend down, twist, or reach way above you. Sounds like a fun project and a great opportunity to improve your shop!

Just make sure there's a stripper pole.

Why did I think some one would say that SS :laughing::laughing::laughing:
If you use a concrete sealer/puddy the frizzing moister will be a slower problem to arrive :thumbup:
goldfish65 has a good thought on relocating your work area to fit you best :thumbup:
Heck you could go 2 story if Billy did not have to use it :poke:
I enjoyed a good sealed painted floor to keep clean when I had one :)

I dont know what the rest of the shop looks like but if I where to start thinking of a lay out I'd begin with locations of ALOT of air drops and STORAGE out of the way. Then it would be placement of nice heavy duty workbenches. Then Id make sure I had way too many electrical outlets (you can never have to many of them)

Fairly good sized peg board to hold ALL your specialty "hangers " & "jigs" "lift posts" and "racks" for "mounting" spraying and moving to the ovens? Rack "handles" for removing racks & jigs from the oven while still too hot to handle so you can put the next batch in?
Internal home made air conditioned "clean room" /spray booth with filtered air AND filtered exhaust to vent out "overspray" A couple of very well lighted benches for "detail" taping & such. A couple of multi shelved racks for cooling & staging & storage....bench for shipping with tape & bubble wrap dispensers, labels and sharpie pens......a really powerful shop vac....
off the top of my head.....I will prolly think of more later

ALSO check out those steel buildings the advertise on TV....I have heard you can get some pretty good deals on some fairly large buildings

What comes to mind for me is make a list of the things you didn't like about your old shop. Also try to design your work area so the things you use often are in the height 'zone' where you don't have to bend down, twist, or reach way above you. Sounds like a fun project and a great opportunity to improve your shop!

Awesome ideas David!

With a web cam near by.......

LMAO @ BOTH of you! You know I love that **** Star Dancing song ...

[ame="http://youtu.be/VdaKwt5cHEk"]http://youtu.be/VdaKwt5cHEk[/ame]

Might be workable. LOL

Why did I think some one would say that SS :laughing::laughing::laughing:
If you use a concrete sealer/puddy the frizzing moister will be a slower problem to arrive :thumbup:
goldfish65 has a good thought on relocating your work area to fit you best :thumbup:
Heck you could go 2 story if Billy did not have to use it :poke:
I enjoyed a good sealed painted floor to keep clean when I had one :)

Mike, I've had my eye on Tony Fields' garage floor ever since he got it done. One can dream ..... :-D

I dont know what the rest of the shop looks like but if I where to start thinking of a lay out I'd begin with locations of ALOT of air drops and STORAGE out of the way. Then it would be placement of nice heavy duty workbenches. Then Id make sure I had way too many electrical outlets (you can never have to many of them)

When we moved in the shop was just a slab and a building. We hired an electrician to do the wiring with 110 and 220 with plenty of outlets, even two dedicated along the back wall lateral beam for the 2 window a/c units that survived Katrina (not yet installed but they will be during the renovation :-D). You can probably see one of the outlets on your left in the shop photo above; the other is on Billy's side not shown in the photo.

Just for visualization, here's a couple more pictures of the shop from December before all hell broke loose.

View attachment IMG_2691.jpg

The a/c units were on that pallet back there (all clean and ready to install now) ...

View attachment IMG_2695.jpg

We ran the air lines ourselves with 12 valved drops so we're good to go there too. Great suggestions!!!

Fairly good sized peg board to hold ALL your specialty "hangers " & "jigs" "lift posts" and "racks" for "mounting" spraying and moving to the ovens? Rack "handles" for removing racks & jigs from the oven while still too hot to handle so you can put the next batch in?
Internal home made air conditioned "clean room" /spray booth with filtered air AND filtered exhaust to vent out "overspray" A couple of very well lighted benches for "detail" taping & such. A couple of multi shelved racks for cooling & staging & storage....bench for shipping with tape & bubble wrap dispensers, labels and sharpie pens......a really powerful shop vac....
off the top of my head.....I will prolly think of more later

ALSO check out those steel buildings the advertise on TV....I have heard you can get some pretty good deals on some fairly large buildings

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, all good stuff there too Paul. Thanks!

Two things come to mind right away.

Make the building tall enough for a lift. Even if you don't put a lift in, at least you COULD.

No shelves - cabinets. Shelves collect dirt and dust, cabinets do not.

Oh ya///for detailed work area's find some reasonably priced T5 HO fluorescent 4 bank fixtures...( between 100 and 150 per ) but well worth it in both lighting and electricity savings

The shop was fairly well organized -- Billy has one side for his projects / resto work and I have the other ....

7'x'4'x3' powder coating batch cure oven
Household oven
Mid-sized blast cabinet
8' x 4' work table
Spray rack
Large A-frame spray rack (motorcycle frames, rear ends, etc.)
Parts washer (rarely used)

Really crappy shelving (3 thin metal ones and one made out of 2x4s)
Upright inoperable freezer & fridge (powder / parts-in-progress storage)
Metal closet (blast cabinet accessories and miscellaneous storage)

There is a 16'x40' lean-to planned to go where the tree fell so Billy can store his Ford tractor, bush hog, sickle mower and projects that will also (hopefully) house a larger 8-foot blasting cabinet so that will free up a lot of extra space in the shop. How would ya'll fill up that extra space?
Organize the items in red in the most usable arrangement,Parts washer can go on Billys side.
Number one I would get real shelving.
Number two,I do not know how hot that shop gets but you need another garage door to get some breeze thru that shop.
Sky lights would be great as well.I also like exhaust fan mounted on the ceiling,they work great and can be adjusted to turn on at a specific temperature.I included a picture and a link from home depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I would pour a slab on the opposite side of your garage door and extend the building at that time that corner that is cracking could be dug up and have some metal jacks installed to bed rock and concrete poured around it or a pier could be poured as well.Of course when this slab is poured you would have your drain installed and concrete floated to run all water down drain.
Are planning on pouring a slab on the 16'x40' lean...

I need the dimensions of your building,so I could tell you how much for the steel,tin and slab to extend your building.
Material cost and what would be fair for labor.

I poured a slab in my old horse barn shop to put my lift and spent 1645.00 for a 14' x 21' foot slab 6" deep and 2' beam under where lift was installed.

which included:
120.00 1 yard of base,(sandy loam)
600.00 for rental for trax loader (bobcat) to remove asphalt
75.00 for rebar 3/8 " and 1/2 " for cage to beam my floor under lift
400.00 for 5 yards of 5000 psi concrete 80.00/yard delivered
450.00 for 2 man crew to pour and float it out they were there 4 hours
floated out every 1/2 hour
Of course I did all of it myself.I got pictures of it on my shop computer.

Attachments

• 2071f561-ff3f-4841-8690-e2ca9d231368_300.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 445
Two things come to mind right away.

Make the building tall enough for a lift. Even if you don't put a lift in, at least you COULD.

No shelves - cabinets. Shelves collect dirt and dust, cabinets do not.

How tall is your building?

Cabinets is a great idea.

TXDart

Another idea,
Build a two car garage tall enough for a lift and Billy's work area and your shop will have that much more room.Oh well,back to cleaning my front yard of all the junk I dragged home.
TXDart

Leanna How about a space indoors so you can do your bigger blasting pieces like k-frames

Leanna, Congrats on settling w/ the insurance company. I'm sure you and Billy will make the best of the situation at hand.

Here's a few ideas that I came up with for 'ya...

I would start by installing insulation & steetrock on all the walls. You can use Styrofoam sheeting for the overhead door too.

Seal the floor (makes cleaning much easier) and don’t use too dark a color, as you want as much light reflection as possible.

Take advantage of your wall height that is currently being wasted. Build shelves that go to the ceiling and anchor them to the wall. You can attach some metal piping to act as a curtain rod. Get some large heavy cloth painters tarps and use them as curtains with shower curtain hooks to make them slide. Covering the shelves hides clutter, as well as keeping the dust & dirt to a minimum.

They sell a wall mounted shop vac with 30 feet of hose that’s quite powerful w/ lots of attachments. I can find a link for you if you’re interested.

Wall or ceiling mounted fans strategically placed will help too. I know how hot and humid it gets there. Some type of air movement goes a long way.

The more you can utilize your overhead space, the more floor space you’ve freed up for your work areas.

Good luck my friend and looking forward to your progress :thumbup:

Leanna, just save enough space for a safe, for all those big bucks you make:D
On a serious note, Your compressor is your lifes blood.
What`s the condition of your current rig? may keep back some dough for a new one if it should ever crap out:scratch:
Good luck

If you can find some pallet racking units they make some very heavy duty shelving, and you can set up part of it as workbench. I even narrowed a section for workbench so I can fit it in my 1 car garage with a car.

Like most people said, quad electrical outlets every 3-4', fresh air movement, sealed floor. As you said, water and sewer won't happen but that would be awesome.

One thing I thought of while fabing this last piece for the bike is arranging my shop tools like a production facility. Thing about each step you do for the majority of parts imagine what tools you need and align them in the shop to make everything in line. You know as well as I do that one set up won't be perfect for everything but think about the true bread and butter stuff that pays the bills. Everything else is secondary but it will still be easier.

For example:

For me, having a steel welding table with a big vise is step one, drill press step two, grinder step three, etc. Depending on what you do your setup will change. Think about efficiency of motion.

Just few thought from an old man. Before you locate anything in the new shop do as has been sugeested and list what you did not like about the existing. Next, analyze how you want your work to flow through the area; how do you handle the large pieces versus the smaller ones, how do you "store" items in progress and when they come out of the ovens. At the same time look at where your expansion plans will tie into the new building and try to design your work flow to incorporate the expansion. And has already been suggested make sure every thing that needs to be used in a part of the process is readily avialable. If the same items need to be used in several steps of the process try to centalize them so you don't have to buy unncessary duplicates. Do all this on graph paper to approximate the relationships between "process stations". When you think you have what you want get some sidewalk chalk, several colors, and draw it on the floor using different colors for different systems, routes, areas etc. that way if you want to change things the toe of your shoe makes a great eraser. You have enough support and good will from everyone to make this a real winner. Remember that inquiring minds need to know.

Glad the insurance is coming thru for you. Lots of great ideas have been said here, what about a compressor "room" closing it in will help keep noise down. Metal hospital racks with wheels...the ones they use to serve food on...you can use them for wheeling stuff around. Having it mobile is a plus to move out of the way. What about a small 8x8 office for you and the beer fridge?? A place to sit and relax and take a break would be nice. If you doodle up some plans post em so we can see!! Good luck and have fun!

Spider cracks where probably there before (concrete contracts for 80 years). Just put vulcum in the cracks (home depot). Buy rolling metal shelves, you can change work area as needed.

-
Back