Help me select a cam

-
What carb should I run? I'm leaning Edelbrock or Carter but maybe Holley. Want to save money but make powah too.

CFM?

If anyone has something good/known running condition for sale can you pm me?

A 625 Street Demon would scream on it.

Holley Based carb.

If you are loking for HP, downleg is the answer but the annular work well on the street.

What carb should I run? I'm leaning Edelbrock or Carter but maybe Holley. Want to save money but make powah too.

CFM?

If anyone has something good/known running condition for sale can you pm me?
You already have a factory spreadbore intake, why not a Thermoquad?

You already have a factory spreadbore intake, why not a Thermoquad?
Because I don't want to fiddle with a 45 yo carb. I've already done that in the past. If it were going to be bone stock, not requiring any tuning then I might do that but it'll have a cam, headers, no emissions stuff etc.

Because I don't want to fiddle with a 45 yo carb

They are the best ones. Even an early list Holley 600 vac sec would be good on that if you decided you didn't want an AFB or TQ

Yes another thread on cams. My situation is a little bit different though.

My dart has been out of commission for AGES waiting on the machine shop to finish my 418 stroker stuff. In the meantime I've found another dart that's got a W2 setup and is closer to what I'm ultimately after in a street/strip bruiser, so I'm wanting to flip the dart I have. I just purchased a 360 long block that had already been punched 30 over. All parts for long block, intake to pan, I got a decent deal. I'm going to clean this block up and put it together. I'll probably cruise it a bit while it's up for sale, might as well have some fun with it right?

Here's the combo.
Stock chassis dart with fiberglass fenders and hood.
Stock bottom end 360 with 30 over stock replacements. Block has been decked an unknown amount, I'll be checking this soon. I'd assume stockish compression.
Cast iron 4bl intake
I'll try to score a 600 Carter or Edelbrock carb.
Stock iron 360 heads. I'll do a pocket port and a gasket match. I have some leftover stock valves that have been back cut that I'll use.
2200 ish stall, 355 gears
1-5/8 long tubes going into a 2.5 in duals.
Power brakes, manual steering.

I'd like a cam with a little lope, but I want good drivability and it needs to work with the combo. I might be willing to get some flat tops to bump the compression a bit. Maybe:D

Also, I need to actually be able to buy this cam, so needs to be on the shelf somewhere. If I gotta wait a month to get it I have to pass.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have an old 318 stock bottom end that I'm throwing together that was bored 60 over and zero decked I got in a deal when I bough a car years ago. So dragged it out gave it a hone because all the cylinders where rusted up and back together it goes. 11-1 comp so should be fun with a small hydraulic cam that I'm building in the driveway outside because there's no space atm.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have an old 318 stock bottom end that I'm throwing together that was bored 60 over and zero decked I got in a deal when I bough a car years ago. So dragged it out gave it a hone because all the cylinders where rusted up and back together it goes. 11-1 comp so should be fun with a small hydraulic cam that I'm building in the driveway outside because there's no space atm.
Yeah man that's cool. Get it running on the cheap!

I have a 418 stroker coming out of the machine shop this weekend. That was originally intended for my 72 dart. However I found a more drag oriented a body that has a W2 setup and already runs 11s as a bracket car. So I wanna flip this dart with a decent little 360 and put the 418 in the w2 car.

I see a couple of you recommended Demon carbs to the OP. Have they gotten any better?

I have used two of them and had issue with both. One was bought brand new, the other was used. The used one was literally untunable.

I bought mine new in 2020 based on a lot of good comments here on FABO. I haven't tried to fine tune it because the car doesn't get driven right now. That said, I bolted it on and it ran great. Immediately drove it an hour and a half from my old place to my new place, no drama. With 26 inch tires and 3.55 gears, it was turning about 3200 rpm for a good portion of the trip.

I've heard that getting a custom ground cam is actually the best way to go, as it's ground for your application

I see a couple of you recommended Demon carbs to the OP. Have they gotten any better?

I have used two of them and had issue with both. One was bought brand new, the other was used. The used one was literally untunable.
We may be talkin about different carburetors. I'm talking about the newer little three barrel carburetors patterned somewhat after the Thermoquad. They are great. I have on on my truck and it runs fantastic.

We may be talkin about different carburetors. I'm talking about the newer little three barrel carburetors patterned somewhat after the Thermoquad. They are great. I have on on my truck and it runs fantastic.
Wouldn't that carburetor require a special intake manifold or a carb adapter

How about this one? I know it's a bit lift-ey but the duration isn't too wild. 218/[email protected] operating range 1800-5600.

Please bear in mind the selection of cams out there seems quite limited right now.

Howards Cams 711651-10 Howards Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts | Summit
How about this one? I know it's a bit lift-ey but the duration isn't too wild. 218/[email protected] operating range 1800-5600.

Please bear in mind the selection of cams out there seems quite limited right now.

Howards Cams 711651-10 Howards Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts | Summit Racing
He could have coil bind problems with the stock spring's as they start to bind at .510" lift

I have used two of the Demons [ TQ copies ]. One ran ok, other had a flat spot on a near stock engine. Overseas ph call to Holley Tech + tuning parts could not fix it. Re-fitting the original QJ did fix it.
In my opinion, the omission of the air valve dashpot with such large airflow is a bad move.

-
Back