Help me understand this please...

-

1966DartConvertible

Reaction score
Questions regarding coolant thermostat and fan thermostat switch.

This is how I think these two things work:

The coolant thermostat regulates engine operating temperature and the fan maintains the water temp in the radiator within the specified "on/off" range example 200F/180F. Am I right?

So, say the coolant thermostat opens at 180F. That means the water will continue circulating within the engine (and not go through the radiator) until the water temp in the engine reaches 180F (coolant thermostat opening temp). Once the temp increases past 180F, the coolant thermostat opens and water will flow into the radiator top hose and down the lower hose and back into the engine. Now the temp rises further and reaches 200F, the fan now cuts in and eventually brings the water temp down to 180F when it will then cut off again and the cycle continues. Is this correct?

Im asking this because I just ordered a factory setting thermostat (180F) vs. the 160F I currently have. My electric fan is set at 205F on/ 185F off. I read in a few (non mopar) forums people were saying that the fan ON temp needs to be way lower than the coolant thermostat opening temp i.e. the temp in the radiator should be cooler than the temp in the engine. In my setup, since the fan keeps the water temp between 185F and 205F, the coolant thermostat will be open all the time once the engine is in the Operating temp. Is that how it should be?

Sorry for the long explanation... im trying to understand how this thing "should" work. Thanks again.

Syed

I'm not sure the fan temp is all that critical, remember "those of us" who have old school mechanical fans are "ON" all the time!!!

I would say the "cold" setting of the fan switch is more for energy economy, IE why run the fan if the stat is closed?

I guess the answer is, if the stat is closed, there is no need to run the fan.

If it helps you, I have a 190 thermostat and my fan is set to come on at 215.
Fan goes off at 195.
Thermostats start to open a bit before thier rated temp so my freeway temp is usually about 185 - 190 average.
This makes it where the fan ONLY comes on at low speeds in traffic, and never out on the open road.

-
Back