HELP!! need experts advice on 440 trouble.

-
Here is a question:

When you set your intake on the heads, how much space should there be? It seems as though there is a lot of side to side play, is it ok to double gaskets or what could be used to take up some space before tightening it down? These are RPM heads and RPM intake, the deck was cut to zero so like Fishbreath said the intake mating surfaces should actually be closer but not the case, I wonder now if the heads have been milled on the intake sides.
Anyway: it was #4 that was causing the noise, pull the plug wire and the misfire/exhaust leak noise stops...when I pulled the intake I can see the bolt right next to the #4intake runner is stripped and there was oil around the port? I can only figure that oil was being sucked up the stripped hole and into #4 runner, an oily air leak? I will replace the gaskets and see what happens.
In the meantime I looked into a few other ports and see what looks like a collection of gas/oil laying on the backsides of some of the valves? I dipped into it and it feels a little slippery but smells like gas, I cant believe that anything could be puddled in there...gas or oil. So even if fixing the stripped intake bolt and replacing the gaskets takes care of the noise/miss I fear I will be pulling the heads

mine ended up being loose guides...

At this point I would just pull the heads and get them to a machine shop to go thru them just to be safe. While thier there mind as well tune um up a little with some port matching and bowl blending, course it's not my money.

Go to the Edelbrock's web site, look under the tech installation pages for their RPM heads for Mopars and the last thing they say is allow a cool down of 2 to 3 hours after initial start up, and RETORQUE the head bolts.
They make em they should know.
It was alot of work on my engine to do, but I found them loose.
After just spending over $1000 bucks to get the heads repaired because they were not retorqued by the previous owner, I wasnt going to take a chance.
Go the extra mile to retorqe, its just time, not $$$$$$$$$$$$!

Go to the Edelbrock's web site, look under the tech installation pages for their RPM heads for Mopars and the last thing they say is allow a cool down of 2 to 3 hours after initial start up, and RETORQUE the head bolts.
They make em they should know.
It was alot of work on my engine to do, but I found them loose.
After just spending over $1000 bucks to get the heads repaired because they were not retorqued by the previous owner, I wasnt going to take a chance.
Go the extra mile to retorqe, its just time, not $$$$$$$$$$$$!

even iron heads i re-torque at least twice... before driving it... heat up to 210 and next day torque, again 210 and cool... etc...

-
Back