HELP- need ideas fast!!!!!!

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
I would appreciate any ideas you guys might have for the following situation;
The motor, trans, driveshaft, K-frame and front suspension are all out of my Duster for the resto. I need to find an ecomical way to finish de-rusting and cleaning the underside of the car so I can start putting pieces back on again. I've seen some really nice lifts and rotisseries either constructed or purchased, but I'm not a welder and don't have $1800 bucks to piss away. I'm looking for a way to get under the car NOT laying on my back with the underside 3 inches from my nose and a quick, efficient way of removing the rust not involving sandblasting. I'm thinking of some sort of truss constructed from 4X4s or something to that effect, possibly that would raise the car 3 or 4 feet off the ground so I can get under it easier? Maybe some of you have an idea of what I'm talking about, or perhaps a better idea! Any plans, links pictures, diagrams, ideas would be appreciated. I need to wrap this part up this summer so I can go about getting the K-frame and suspension back together. Thanks!

I don't see why you couldn't just make some drive up ramps from wood. As long as you have the room. sorta like this:

Powdercoated.jpg

i would say cherry picker to lift up the front but seems kinda dangerous now that i think about it

there is no reason you could not build a stand out of 6x6 uprights and the cherry picker to lift the car up to place them under it.

Just make sure it is supported well and so it will not rock off

Maybe buy some large truck jack stands, build a box for each to get the height you want

good luck, but what ever you do do it SAFELY

We used a heavy-duty A-frame and a comealong to lift my Demon for cleaning and sandblasting. Lifted the front first, then the rear.

fabricate a stand that bolts to where the k frame goes and the rear bumper mounts so you can have a couple friends help you roll it over to one side think it out,draw it up,gather the parts,and make it!!!!You Can Do It! or try two engine stands,I seen a guy had them for sale after he finished his project.good luck

Without the ability to roll the chassis, you are looking at a dead lift situation. All the great advice above is do-able by anybody with a little know-how. Think, draw, and think again. Remember, weight x arm = moment. Make it stable because you will be pushing and pulling on the car.

I am planning to do the same thing to work underneath my Barracuda. I want to be able to sit underneath it on a rolling stool without banging my head. I plan to lift it with my engine hoist; front, then back.

Our rotisserie has been rented out, so I have my Duster sitting on two sawhorses. About 3 2x4's and a small piece of plywood...

Party! 032.jpg

Party! 033.jpg

-
Back