Help needed- Is there a safe way to send $$?

-

Lonewolf3165

Living the Dream!
Reaction score
I need some advice. I'm looking into buying some parts from a member here who has only been a member here for a very short time(less than a month) & only has a few posts, anyway they don't have a paypal account but would accept a check or M.O. I'm a little nervous about sending funds that way espescially since they are such a new member & they could just cash my check or MO & run. I was wondering if there is another option anybody out there could suggest that would work for both sides. Agian, paypal is out.
I have no indication that they aren't honest, but you can't be too careful these days. I got burned on a fiberglass hood I had ordered from a guy a few years ago & paid in full as requested with a money order so he could start making it & then he ran off & I got screwed!

Thanks for your help.

You could have them setup an ebay auction (probably will charge you a little more to cover the fee) but you would have buyer protection similar to paypal that way.

Did you check to see if there is a member on the boards that is close to the seller? Might be worth a shot that way.
~Michael

I'm with Dartman on this one. Ask for a member in the area of the item and ask if he can broker the deal for ya. If it's here close count me in.
Small Block

You are a member in good standing. As such, ask them to send the parts first. I'd do it in a minute.

Post office money order seems to keep both parties in check.You are involving the federal government,Kevin.

Thanks sent to all who replied. I was unaware you could stop payment on a money order & get your money back. I may go that route. Thanks for the offers to broker the deal guys & the confidence vote StrokerScamp. I appreciate that!

all my business is done with straight up cash in the mail. i will even send parts out before i get the money. never had a problem.

I 100% agree with Strokerscamp. Who says the buyer has to pay first??? If they're so new, they can send the parts and you pay when you get them. I've been sending Parts all over the place and asking to be paid once they get the Item and are happy with them. Paypal does offer Seller protection.

all my business is done with straight up cash in the mail. i will even send parts out before i get the money. never had a problem.
Isn't that risky(cash by mail) with all the hands it goes through to get there. Aren't you afraid someone would take it?

...........U dont have to have a pay pal account to send or recieve money thru p/p.........i think there is a small fee for the use of it.....or so i've been told....kim..........

Isn't that risky(cash by mail) with all the hands it goes through to get there. Aren't you afraid someone would take it?

its all risky. a letter is a letter , i wrap it up in an envelope inside an envelope, no body knows that there is money in it . i request cash only as well. i have sent out a couple hundred in an envelope. im probably at 30 transactions now. i may be a little trusting , but if it doesnt make it there i can only blame myself. as of late, if im selling a part, i will send it out before i get the money. i can say that 100% of every transaction , buying, or selling , has went well so far.

Get all of his info, home phone,cell, address.etc. This why reviews are important.

I'm with Dartman on this one. Ask for a member in the area of the item and ask if he can broker the deal for ya. If it's here close count me in.
Small Block

Yeah right! I wouldnt let you assist in sweeping my sidewalk. Your one of the people on here that members should be careful with!!

Thanks sent to all who replied. I was unaware you could stop payment on a money order & get your money back. I may go that route. Thanks for the offers to broker the deal guys & the confidence vote StrokerScamp. I appreciate that!

You cannot get your $$ back from a regular bank or store bought Money Order if the seller has cashed it that I'm aware of ?

CudaChris' idea about an ebay auction is good, but if he doesn't have paypal, I doubt he has an ebay account either......

A postal money order is your best choice IMO and get all contact info you can before sending $$ like mentioned above. How many $$ are involved in the transaction?

You cannot get your $$ back from a regular bank or store bought Money Order if the seller has cashed it that I'm aware of ?
I have been told this as well. Keep in mind with the PO that if you need to get them involved due to fraud etc. you may be in for a long haul in getting it resolved.....

You would be surprised at how many folks send cash thru the mail. In reality, as long as it is a business envelope that will run thru the postal machinery, keep it thin, between 1/8-1/4" and flexible it will be lost in the sea of letters. Hampers are pulled out of the boxes, dumped into a culling system that is more less just a transport system, thru the afcs into a tray, thru the dbcs into another tray then to the carrier (bit more involved but you get the idea). Big thing with sending anything thru the mail is to put nothing in the envelope that will not make it thru a pinch point, so no keys, coins etc. Tape the flaps shut, being careful to keep the tape on the back. If speed is not that important you could always send it registered, this way it is literally handed from person to person, each time it is handed off it will also have a signature with it. Not saying sending money thru the mail is a good idea, I could give you a list of people that were fired for stealing while I was there. My wifes first day she witnessed someone stealing money. The PO waited almost a year to go after the guy, but they had him on video 30 times clipping stuff.....

What does the hair on the back of your neck say?

Use your gut feeling, that's what it's there for. If your not comfortable, don't do it.

Send a postal order, don't get your stuff, there are ways, simple.

good luck,
:cheers:

-
Back