Help needed! what heads are best for me?

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
ok, i built a 360 about 4 years ago and its got about 6k miles on it now and its time for some more power.
Here is my current setup
360 bored .30 over with kb 107's with about 9.7-1 cr

a pair of old untouched j heads 1.88's they dont even have hardend seats!

spitfire headers into 2 1/2" exhaust with an h pipe and dumps when i want to be loud.

Hughes cam that is not right for the build i dont have the cylnder pressure the cam is requiring, here is the cam info
Flat Tappet Solid

. Hot street/bracket racing. Single plane intake manifold. 1 7/8" Big Block and 1 ¾" Small Block primary tube headers. 4.10:1 rear gear ratio. 4000rpm stall speed. HP ported Stage II cylinder heads. 190psi suggested cylinder pressure.
Camshaft Technical Details
Intake Valve Lift 1.5
Exhaust Valve Lift 1.5 .579"
.587"
Intake Valve Lift 1.6
Exhaust Valve Lift 1.6 .614"
.626"
Intake Duration at .050"
Exhaust Duration at .050" 256°
260°
Lobe Separation Angle 106
Intake Opening at .050"
Exhaust Opening at .050" 25° BTC
59° BBC
Intake Closing at .050"
Exhaust Closing at .050" 51° ABC
21° ATC
Min. Suggested Cylinder PSI 190
Sweet Spot RPM 2800 - 6600

i think last compression check i did i had like 130 to 145psi

it does have a 4 speed running 26" tire with 4.10 gears

holley strip dominator, and a mighty demon 750

the car is a 65 plymouth valiant with about 3100 lbs slant 6 t bars sub frame connectors ran a best of 12.94 at 109 mph

NOW...... the changes i would like to make are pulling the engine and decking the block so i have a true compression ratio, id like to stay with the same cam and bottom end so after the block is decked it would be the same short block. ive been looking into heads and im not really impressed with what ive been reading on all the indy rhs and eddy heads, UNTIL mancini sent out a new news letter and im looking at the indy aluminum heads the kit is
indy 360-h1-1k
LONG VALVE DESIGN - FEEL THE POWER!
• Should be purchased in kit form (360-1K)
• 360-1K includes everything you need between block
and carb to utilize the 360-1 heads
• Assembled heads come with hydraulic, solid
or roller springs good up to .650” lift
• Recommended 10 degree locks for solid or roller cam
• Customer must supply cam specs
• Uses .800” offset Indy 440-5I intake rocker (1.5 or 1.6 ratio)
same rocker as the 440-1
• Machined for stock rocker shaft or Jesel rockers
• Valve angle is stock 18 degrees
• Stock valve location
• Both stock 360 and W-2 exhaust bolt pattern
• Extra heavy duty rocker pedestals
• Intake port volume 210cc
• Intake port volume is 46cc bigger than stock head
• Exhaust port volume 85cc
• Intake valve diameter 2.100” - 5.344” overall length
• Exhaust valve dia. 1.650” - 5.370” overall length
• 63cc combustion chamber volume (heart shaped)
• Can be milled to 53cc
• 2” spring height, spring seats 1.550”
• Head bolt pattern std. 10 bolt or aftermarket 18 bolt
• Head gasket: Fel-Pro #1008
• Intake gasket Indy #276
• Exhaust header gasket Indy #282
• Head bolts: ARP #360-16
• Head studs: ARP #360-17
• Valve guides 11/32 solid bronze
• 3/4 reach gasket seat spark plugs
• Champion C57CX (cold) to C63CX (hot)
• Accepts 360-3R Indy rectangular intake
• Head bolt torque 95 ft lbs

i would like to achieve about a 11.4 to 11.8-1 compression ratio so i think the heads will have to be milled alittle to even come close to what im looking for, also what are the advantages of degreeing the cam?

any help is great! thanks all

ohh heres a link to the heads if anyone else is interested.... http://www.indyheads.com/headkits.html

I think you would have to rebuild your engine to take advantage of the Indy heads. Those are heavy breathing heads requiring more RPM to get the most out of them. Depending on what your plans are, it would make the car not very streetable. Making the power these are capable of would mean making changes to the car for track use. Try ported Edelbrocks, Pettybludart goes 10's with them.

I think it be a bit more head than you can use right now. And the crummy part is, purchasing and porting Edelbrock heads at this point will yeild similar specs at a near similar cost, just slightly less performance number wise, though for surley more suited to the build on hand.

If your looking to grow later, the Indy head would be good. I just see alot of port volume and it being a bit much for a 360 engine in it's current state.

Your stock head would need a full porting and new race valves to get where ya wanna go with this. It is probably cheaper than a new head, but it might leave some on the table. Worse if the porter doesn't do MoPar heads right.
Click here; http://www.shadydellspeedshop.com/index.htm

For the price of fully ported J's, ...........
Under$1400 vs. OOTB Edelbrock heads @ $1431 @ summit and still needing a minor amount of attention??? Hummmmmmmm Verse $3500 for Indy heads.

In the end, you'll be slightly over cammed/underheaded as the otherway, to much head/undercammed.

Where do you want to end up?

Check added reply...edit...after I posted.

Thanks guys! That's what I was looking for, what are your thoughts on the eddy heads? I'm guessing a victor intake would be too much for this combo too, I don't want to waste money on something that's not gonna perform to it's potental. Any thoughts on degreeing the cam when it goes back together?

Edelbrock makes victor head for the small block?

Degree the cam? Absoultely!

Seriously, in the end, the place where you want to be or travel twards shoud help in the head selection. IMO, right now, the Indy is tooo much head. An Edelbrock worked on. milled, ported, valve guide check etc... would be about right, but becomes a bit pricey for me at the level sought.

Being broke myself...LOL, I'd look at Ported J heads and live with being slightly over cammed. Your converter stall andgear should cover this combo preety well.

-
Back