help needed with 904

-
SHHHHH!
That's the one that usually gets burned up when the fluid is dark.
Keep in mind that the air going to both those cltches rely on steel rings kind of like a piston has to seal the air in as it passes through the to those clutchpacks.
Could that be how it sound not right?
Thhat is the sound.

Isn't there supposed to be a big spring where i was pointing?

The big spring is there for cushioning the shift and it being gone is an indication that this trans may not be plain stock.
Someone wanted a firmer shift so they removed the spring.
(probably a blocker rod under that accumulator piston. (which again would be normal for a more performance oriented trans.

Back where I said "SHHHH" it meant be quiet, don't say that. :D

But yea, the clutches do make that noise when applied with air.

I'm watching too. I've built somewhere between maybe a dozen or two TFs ., and probably half were kitted. As to the geartrain,they are hard to screw up, unless you forget a part. Or break a cast seal-ring during the front half installation,or don't get all the plates engaged,Or a governor E-clip not properly installed,Or a spring mixed up,Or a ball left out, or or..... Ok I guess they are easy to screw up,but I haven't yet. You've got pictures;which is more than I had with my first one. That was in the 70s.

Ok so I'm watching all these videos and really digging on him and the guys completely cracking me up no doubt about that. But he stopped at video 16! It was almost put back together, I'd like to see the guy doing a burn off would make me feel a lot better? LOL he took apart the clutch packs and stuff like that and that seemed pretty easy but he didn't get into the planetary gears? I'm feeling my problems going to be in that front clutch pack also. I'd like to just buy a cheap kit and rebuild it myself. I'm half tempted to go out to the garage and start pulling it apart right now. I don't know if I'm interested in in any expensive upgrades as it's just going behind the 318 and then eventually out. If it goes on to do anymore heavier-duty then I would probably just grab the other transmission and give it a performance rebuild as by that time I'll be doing them in my sleep also. I really think this is looking pretty easy even compared to the four Speed.
" like fightin a snake!" " that dog needs medicated!" " where's Uncle Phil?!"
PRICELESS!!!

Getting the front pump out opens up the whole transmission...

A slide hammer is what is used to get the pump out...two of the 6 bolt holes in the pump have recessed threads in them to screw in slide hammer to remove pump....

there are some videos on youtube showing the pump removal....there is a series of videos 904 overhaul for rookies..

" like fightin a snake!" " that dog needs medicated!" " where's Uncle Phil?!"
PRICELESS!!!

My Brother used to say he was going to get a restraining order against his dog.:D
Always wanting something, and getting in the middle of everything going on.

Between the exploded views and a few of us here, you can rebuild that thing.
After reading what you want out of it you might be able to just do a basic friction and rubber kit if the teardown inspection looks good.
A couple of enlarged holes and a governor spring swap and you'd swear it had a kit in it anyway. :D
I got an occasional light second gear bark out of my basically stock 318 with 273 rear gears and it didn't have a kit.
Just a few mods to the OE stuff.

F-- IT!
It's coming apart !
20170428_153749.jpg

My Brother used to say he was going to get a restraining order against his dog.:D
Always wanting something, and getting in the middle of everything going on.

Between the exploded views and a few of us here, you can rebuild that thing.
After reading what you want out of it you might be able to just do a basic friction and rubber kit if the teardown inspection looks good.
A couple of enlarged holes and a governor spring swap and you'd swear it had a kit in it anyway. :D
I got an occasional light second gear bark out of my basically stock 318 with 273 rear gears and it didn't have a kit.
Just a few mods to the OE stuff.

If you don't have a slide hammer to get the pump out I have tapped it out from the inside with a big screwdriver before.
Back and forth from one side to the other easing it out.

Well here we go I hate starting the complete overhaul basically on the 6th page of this thread but Whatever it's going to happen. So everybody should know or should know by now this is one of two freebie 904 Transmissions that were tossed in with a couple $50 Craigslist small blocks. Really just watching those videos with the guy and the beginner has completely inspired me to tackle this what looked like very simple job. I'll probably have to invent some new curse words That actually I thought I used them all up making that four Speed work ( not rebuilding it that was easy)
So I believe stay with the tradition of the $50 Craigslist rebuild I had to keep this on a strict budget more so because I have to LOL as always I have no budget. Of course being a drag racer at heart or at least racer and anyway I would do some small modifications that were inexpensive no problem but I just would rather keep this more of a learning experience so if I do one or the other one I can click through it easily and put all the high-performance stuff into it?

Crap! I forgot about that part, foiled already!

If you don't have a slide hammer to get the pump out I have tapped it out from the inside with a big screwdriver before.
Back and forth from one side to the other easing it out.

Wait I think I can pull the tail housing off oh yeah I remember I got to find my snap ring pliers

Might as well pick up a big jar of Vaseline next time you are at the store as you are going to need it for reassembly.

(For the trans) :D

As to pulling the pump, I usually screw two long bolts in the holes provided, and hook a pair of heelbars under the heads.A little pressure and the pump jumps right out.
I once saw a guy just tip the tranny over on it's nose, and with a little bump on the concrete floor, all the guts fell out.
I have also seen it yanked out with a chain that had a heavy weight on it.
Pull the front out, before taking the tail off, or you will have a real mess

Ok, now look at all the corresponding surfaces where rings ride to make sure they are fairly flat and don't have grooves in them.
Inside the pump stator where the shaft went through, the front drum where it rides on the pump stator and the governor housing.
All the places where rings ride.
If you want to crack the pump open go ahead, but note which side of the inside gears is up because you want them to go back in the same way later so they don't have to mate with the pump surfaces again and cause a loose pump.
You will be changing the bushing and seal both anyway, so you will need to open it up.
There is only 2 parts in there, so no big deal on anything falling out and getting lost.
See you tomorrow most likely.

I would like to go with minimal cracking stuff open LOL and maximum repair replace and get the hell out of there before I forget where something goes LOL
Ok, now look at all the corresponding surfaces where rings ride to make sure they are fairly flat and don't have grooves in them.
Inside the pump stator where the shaft went through, the front drum where it rides on the pump stator and the governor housing.
All the places where rings ride.
If you want to crack the pump open go ahead, but note which side of the inside gears is up because you want them to go back in the same way later so they don't have to mate with the pump surfaces again and cause a loose pump.
You will be changing the bushing and seal both anyway, so you will need to open it up.
There is only 2 parts in there, so no big deal on anything falling out and getting lost.
See you tomorrow most likely.

Hoping the local auto repair we'll have a rebuild kit and I can just start changing things out tomorrow and getting ready to put things back together the next day. I know that will never happen but I would like this to be quick and painless as possible. Now this has been sitting sitting with no fluid in it for many years on a garage floor. Oddly enough the front reverse and 3rd gear clutch is good which I thought that's where the problem would be. But it was the first and second gear clutches that looked all dried up and had dried like carbon or something on them and they look all like glued together in there. I also looked up the numbers on this transmission and I believe it's a 1968? If so do I have to go get a different kid? everything else looks like it goes up to 72?

1-2 I'm not sure if this is from sitting or what but I did take my finger and wiped off what was seemingly a soot of black right now where it looks Orange
20170428_193906.jpg

-
Back