Help !!! New engine will not start ?

-
Not saying this is it...... But.... A couple times in my life I had friends call me on this no start problem and all I did was put a straw full of oil in a few spark plug holes and there 302 and 360 started up... and yes, put #1 on top dead center of the compression stroke

I did make sure it was the compression stroke it pushed air out and checked tdc with the plug removed .

Today I will try a new ballast , brain box and wiring ect . The oil down the holes sounds like something to try .
Thanks

I hope it's not a fresh build with a flat tappet cam. This can be an issue if you've been cranking it over a lot without it firing.

I hope it's not a fresh build with a flat tappet cam. This can be an issue if you've been cranking it over a lot without it firing.

Yes limit the cranking. It should fire up without excessive cranking. Once it starts keep the RPMS between 1500 and 2000, 1800 to 1900 is best for at least full operating temp. unless your leaking anything then turn it off. Generally it is okay as long as the high pressure cam lube was used. You just don't want to wash away the lube with oil before it starts up. Even if it is leaking don't shut it off until the lifters quiet down. "Important" The lady is right by asking if the plugs are wet. The engine will try and try to start but never will if it is flooding out. If you are using a Holley and it don't have a back fire protection on it chances are you may just need to put a different carb on to get it to fire up, if one is available to use from a friend or your Dad's things. Blown power valves suck big time, everything checks out but you don't realize it because Holley's put out so much fuel. We see fuel and write it off as not the problem! By the way sorry to hear about your Dad. You'll get through this

Ah the unfortunate fubar !!

So the cam got put in wrong ,( not me who installed it ) it got lighned up with a casting dimple instead of the o .

Before the coulda woulda shoulda's come , I know that there were many of ways to prevent this .
I am extremely bummed it is torn all the way back down .

I have a bent valve , still gonna try to get a valve and have it lapped and cut and the rest checked and try to meet the goal of driving it to the memorial on Saturday !

Thanks for all the replies !!

God Bless

Jim

Hate to see that, this is a reason camshafts should be degreed.

What a drag,

The memorial is this Saturday? You could still get it on the road by then, but I wouldnt go long distances in it. You really need to get a little travel time in it, or at least have someone follow you there.

In a mad thrash !! Got my valve and gaskets today , heads are heading to machine shop to get checked and have one bent valve replaced as well as making sure guide is ok ?

Should get the head back tomorrow then thrash to try this again in time for sat ?

Could use some prayers for the process as well as the emotions and everything else !

Will keep ya posted .

God Bless

Motor is running cam is broke in .

Ended up replacing all intake valves .

Hats off to Action Auto Machine in Shoreline !

Could not have done without thier help !!
Also my more then kind fiends !!!

I'm wiped out it is almost 3 am and need sleep .

I have a memorial to go to !!!

God Bless !!!

Well I wish the memorial was better !!

The truth is my brother and sisters were treated like we didn't belong , we could mot even sit together .
Another sad part of the deal is my Dad did not ironized his will and now all his stuff goes to someone who does not deserve or honor my father !

I continue to ask God to help me forgive ! It truly is a trajic situation !

I take comfort and peace knowing my father is with Jesus and no longer has to live with the deceptions in this world !!

Thanks for the thoughts wishes and prayers !!
Could use plenty more prayers !!

God Bless

Hang in there man things will iron out. It's sad when families can't seem to pull together to do the right thing. Everyone is always looking out for their better interests. Trust me I go through that **** all the time. Life is too short as I'm sure you already know.

-
Back