Help New Fuel Pump not pumping

-

noff57

Reaction score
Hey Guys I just replaced my fuel pump and carb on 225 \6 but the fuel pump isn't pumping fuel any tips on what to check?

The car ran before putting up for the winter but carb started leaking so i put a new one one and still had fuel issues so i changed the fuel pump now its not pumping. The car will run when putting fuel in the carb until it runs out.

clogged filter either before the carb or in the tank.

or just a bad pump. try running a fuel line from the intake of the fuel pump to a can of gas near by .

how long did it sit before you installed the new pump? and how long did you crank trying to get fuel? when you change the pump the line usually goes dry so you have to suck the fuel back to the pump.

We were driving down the read, when suddenly we got a flat tire. She pumped, I pumped, she pumped, I pumped...

Then we got out to fix the tire....

how long did it sit before you installed the new pump? and how long did you crank trying to get fuel? when you change the pump the line usually goes dry so you have to suck the fuel back to the pump.

Um I have never had a problem with priming a new pump. When my Scamp was a slant I installed a new tank, pump, lines, filters, and rebuilt the carb. all I did was put a 5 gallon can of fuel in the tank and filled the bowl of the carb. The fuel in the carb was enough to get the fuel from the tank to carb and keep it running.

Sounds like you have another problem with the car. Is the fuel in the tank any good, meaning, this car hasn't sat for a long period of time right? Make sure the sock at the fuel pickup tube in the tank isn't clogged. disconnect the line from the tank at the pump and blow the entire thing out with compressed air. To be sure the pump is pumping you should be able to put your finger over the inlet while someone cranks and feel suction.

clogged filter either before the carb or in the tank.

or just a bad pump. try running a fuel line from the intake of the fuel pump to a can of gas near by .

Wouldn't you want to test it from the output of the fuel pump?

Is the eccentric that makes the pump operate loose maybe?

Is the arm to the pump under the eccentric. I have seen people put them in and get the arm above the eccentric and it won't work too well that way.

Check for collapsed rubber lines too. When the pump starts sucking gas the lines may be collapsing on the inside.

Sock in the tank clean?

Is the arm to the pump under the eccentric. I have seen people put them in and get the arm above the eccentric and it won't work too well that way.

Check for collapsed rubber lines too. When the pump starts sucking gas the lines may be collapsing on the inside.

Sock in the tank clean?

Ya, I've heard of people accidently doing that too. Usually it bends the arm and junks the pump.

............Get a vacuum / pressure gauge (which you should already have) at the local parts store. Read the shop manual. There's a test procedure in there. Any fuel pump should pull a minimum of 10" Hg vacuum or more.

All of the above is good advice.

-
Back