help...new with mopar

-

426 dart

426 Dart
Reaction score
hi everyone...
im new to the mopar scene and have some questions ? i just bought a 1963 426 wedge engine and was wondering would it be a big project if i was to put it in a dodge dart 1968-1972? Would it be worth it? how much work would it actually be,,, and what is all involved in it?? can anyone give me advice and tips...

thanks

Engine mounts from Schumacher Creative services. Headers from TTi or Schumacher. Stock trans mount. Might have to change rear if its not strong enough, Probably new radiator. That's most of the big stuff.

Definately a big job. You need a small block and sell me the wedge for my 62 2 dr post belvedere, or buy my belvedere. How much on the wedge?

hi everyone...
im new to the mopar scene and have some questions ? i just bought a 1963 426 wedge engine and was wondering would it be a big project if i was to put it in a dodge dart 1968-1972? Would it be worth it? how much work would it actually be,,, and what is all involved in it?? can anyone give me advice and tips...

thanks
Are you sure that it is a 1963 426 engine? I may be mistaken, but I think that 413 was the biggest engine available wedge engine in 1963. Anyhow, if it is an RB engine, it will install exactly like a 440. If you have a 1963 trans, it will have a ball and trunion front u joint and if it is automatic, it will be cable operated.

I was under the impression that this is a 426 wedge according to the casting numbers on the block... am i correct? if not what did
i buy? went out to go buy a 1968 dodge dart GT but it had way to much rust, came home with this engine instead... Dont even want to say what i paid for this engine...it was almost free
halloweenandengine015.jpg
halloweenandengine019.jpg
halloweenandengine012.jpg
halloweenandengine020.jpg

The 426 max wedge was availible starting in '63 with 2 hp ratings, 415 and 425. That is a bad *** engine.

That is a 426 Wedge and yes it's definitely a keeper. Think of it as a smaller bore 440 and most parts, water pump, distributor, cam chain gear and cam, heads, are interchangeable with the 440. Intake manifold also as long as you don't have the max wedge heads. Post the 7 digit casting number found on the top of the heads and we can help ya out. Congradulations.

Terry

Engine mounts from Schumacher Creative services. Headers from TTi or Schumacher. Stock trans mount. Might have to change rear if its not strong enough, Probably new radiator. That's most of the big stuff.

thanks for the info im definetly going to go with Schumacher!:toothy10:

That is a 426 Wedge and yes it's definitely a keeper. Think of it as a smaller bore 440 and most parts, water pump, distributor, cam chain gear and cam, heads, are interchangeable with the 440. Intake manifold also as long as you don't have the max wedge heads. Post the 7 digit casting number found on the top of the heads and we can help ya out. Congradulations.

Terry

hey terry i really appreciate your time with helping me out with this beast.. the casting # for the heads are
drivers side #2406516 date 11/23
passenger side #2406516 date 10/31
thanks Dave

Definately a big job. You need a small block and sell me the wedge for my 62 2 dr post belvedere, or buy my belvedere. How much on the wedge?

I am not planning on selling now, given the responses i have received... i feel like a million dollars cuz i only paid $400 lol

No problem Dave, Those heads are the closed chamber heads common to the 361 and 383 for 1964 but will bolt onto any of the BB's. They're good heads but if they haven't already been the exhaust valves need to be upsized from the stock 1.60" to 1.74" which all the later B and BB heads used. Are you sure that casting number isn't 2406518 cuss those are the Max Wedge heads for 63.

Terry

Direct Connection Engine book and it said the 426 was first introduced in 1962 in the Chrysler. I'm sure many were overlooked.

No problem Dave, Those heads are the closed chamber heads common to the 361 and 383 for 1964 but will bolt onto any of the BB's. They're good heads but if they haven't already been the exhaust valves need to be upsized from the stock 1.60" to 1.74" which all the later B and BB heads used. Are you sure that casting number isn't 2406518 cuss those are the Max Wedge heads for 63.
Terry

well my friend after closer inspection and using my beautiful wife's eyes she brought to my attention that the last digit is definitely a 8 and not a 6 the 8 is a lot smaller then the 6 so your are correct with the heads being the wedge heads =P~

woohoo!

Well be go to hell, you really lucked out. Max Wedge heads have the big assed 1.88 exhaust valves and larger intake and exhaust ports that the standard heads.

Terry

GREAT find!!! ...and welcome to FABO as well. That max wedge needs to go to a good, and proper, home. Best of luck on your future search.

Welcome!! And that is an awesome find!! Out of curiosity, did you throw a ratchet on it and see how it turns?

-
Back