Help on engine oil level

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
I got my car back from the shop a few days ago. The engine and trans were rebuilt. I decided to take a look at the oil level and see how clean it is.

Nothing shows up on the dipstick! The car has been sitting since saturday so the oil should be reading everything.

I added a quart of 10w40 and let it sit for a few minutes. It still doesn't show a drop on the end of the stick.

Here's a photo of the length of the stick and the level where it rests near the alternator. After I did this, I just checked my old photos and it looks like the dipstick used to sit much lower? See 3rd pic.

How the heck do I know if there's too much oil now or none?

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 169
  • photo 3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 176
  • dipstick.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 193
see if the dipstick tube is in its correct place, with a stock pan the 4.5-5 quart system. I'd do an oil and filter change so I'd know for sure.

If the dipstick tube is properly installed all the way in the block you'll need to drain and refill to 5 quarts and adjust the length of the tube ( top ) to get a correct reading.
This should have been done by the engine builder. If you have one of those midget tubing cutters its no big deal.

Maybe they just filled it with the right amount of oil then and never checked the dipstick.

The dipstick is pretty firmly in place and looks like they put a glob of silicone or sealer around the base.

So these can be adjusted on how deep they go? What holds it in place then? I can tell them to fix this and refill it.

Is is bad if it is overfilled with an extra qt? I know it is on new cars, so, should I drain about a qt out before starting it?

It would seem obvious that they did not put the stick in correctly, or they replaced it with the wrong one. I tried measuring some of the sticks I have but none matched the size you have. Anyone with an identical one could measure the tube and tell you how far out of the block it ought to be. Might as well take it back and have them do it right.
Here is something to think about. Do you truly know how much oil is in it. An extra quart isn't really good. It has to have somewhere to go, so it may start a leak somewhere. Also the people who did your engine may have filled it with the proper oil, and then started it without checking it. Really poor procedure especially if two or more were invlolved. The flipside to this is that they did check it and then sent it out the door knowing the stick read improperly. That would really disturb me.
Like I said, take it back let them fix it right, and listen without laughing to the excuse they give you. Let me guess, "It must of worked itself out, or pulled the tube up a little when you checked the oil." Maybe they will blame it on someone who isn't there at the moment.LOL

Drain the whole thing and start over with 5 new quarts of oil. Once youve done that you can play with the dipstick till you find the oil because you'll know you have the correct amount in there.

Yeah at first I thought they used a different dipstick, but after finding the 3rd photo above (before it was rebuilt), the stick looks the same but a couple inches lower or so than it is now.

I think I will just drain out the QT I put in. They can drain and fill it with 4 or 5 since the filter already has oil in it, then move the dipstick around.

-
Back