help on swap

-

bbreidhaupt

Reaction score
well i'm thinking about jumping into a project here. one of my neighbors is trying to sell me a '67 cuda convertible for $1000. the only snag is that it doesn't run and it is a 6 cylinder car. how ever a friend of mine has a dodge rv that has a 440 6 pack in it and only wants $800 for it.

so i want to find out how difficult this swap is going to be before i spend any money on it. i know that the front frame has to be modified, as well as a stronger transmission, driveshafts are going to have to be made, and that the rear end is going to have to be swapped.

i don't want to blindly go in and start hacking the frame so are their any kits for the engine bay and motor mounts that can make the motor go in easy and quickly?

also this car is automatic and i don't intend on swapping to a manual just for the fact that i think its a big hassel for nothing. so can i get some recommendations on a transmission? i know its gonna have to be a 727 but i don't think they were all built the same so i need vehicle lists on which car or truck i can pick one out of.

thanks in advance for any help

I think your friend means the rv has a 440 under the hood and a 6pk in the fridge.
But if your serious there are motor mount kits to put a RB in a /6 car and just use the trans thats in the rv.

well i was taking his word for it. the motor was so crammed in the rv that all i could see is the belt drive. either way i think $800 is a steal for a 440.

I see them going for 5-800 here in Seattle but you have to take the whole motorhome.... for 800 if you don't have to take the whole thing, that is a bonus!

727 out of an RV may have the park brake on the tailshaft and a bolt-on flange on the front of the drive shaft instead of the slip-yoke. You will want a 727 out of a car along with the driveshaft (or at least the front part of it)

yeah, i gotta take it all. but i just see the rest of the motorhome as scrap metal to get some of my money back. where can i find the kits for the engine swap? i checked google and found a whole lot of nothing.

I think youd be better off getting a small block as they would be cheaper then that 440, and that thing is gonna need a rebuild and lots of parts to get it upgraded, I would go for a magnum 360 out of a junkyard, with the tranny attached.

for $1000 I would grab the cuda regardless of weather you get the 440, you could easily double your money if you sell it (saying that is not rotted to death)

the car is in good shape. convertible top just doesnt work. i just wanna build a weekend warrior to have some fun with and maybe make a show car out of it later on.

-
Back