Help! On the road with no turn signals

-

CARS

Reaction score
On vacation right now traveling. Have a test light along. No turn signals, but the flashers work.

'68 Dart. Friday I was in the Twin Cities while they received over an inch of rain an hour. Drove through alot of standing water. Turn signals still worked after that for about 3 hours and then nothing. I stopped at a parts store and bought a new flasher. No change.

There are the 2 terminals on the flasher. When the flasher is plugged in I have power at both terminals. When I probe the plug I have power at the 2 pink wires (same terminal) and nothing at the single red wire.

There was alot of moisture in the car on Friday. A few drips from under the dash when it was really pouring so something may have gotten wet.

Fuse? I don't see any markings that said turn signal on the fuse block. If the flashers work I am not thinking that it could possibly be a fuse. Am I wrong?

Any help would be great! Thanks for any ideas you can give me. I will be going through towns with parts stores today and can check in with my "smart" phone operated by a "dummy". :???:

Make sure that the lights in the taillight are grounded properly. My turn signal up front wouldn't blink because the grounding was poor. Just like in your case, the hazard light would work but wouldn't if signaling to turn. It was a simple and easy fix, hopefully that is the situation with you.

..............Sig and the EM each have there own flasher.............do the ind lts light up or not......if yes its a flasher problem, if no , u have a burned fuse..if other problem, let us know where ur at and a member can probably help u..........kim........

Do the brake lights work? They are routed from the brake switch THROUGH the turn signal switch to the two rear lamps, so if they work, that proves that "part" of the turn sig. switch is working, the wires to the rear, the lamps, etc, are OK.

If you have power at the flasher, the fuse "MAY" be OK, in that the fuse itself AND the clips. In some cases if you put a load on a circuit, a bad connection can show a test lamp but not operate the heavy load of the circuit itself

SO do you have power at the flasher WHEN THE SIGNAL ARM is selected either right or left?

Explain more, the tests at the flasher? "When I probe the plug" do you mean you had the flasher UN plugged? If so, "no power" at one terminal would be "normal", because the flasher is a series switch.

The red side goes OUT to your column, the pink side is power from the accessory side of the ignition switch IT IS NOT FUSED

Some "alternative" wiring diagrams:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68DartA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68DartB.jpg

On diagram "A" find the ignition switch. Follow the black wire off to the right, it is your "accessory" and is powered in "run" or "accessory." It feeds TO the fuse panel "accessory buss" AND the flasher UNFUSED. Follow that black over to a splice and beyond, turn the corner at the end and go up to the flasher.

From the flasher, a red goes to the column turn switch

You should be able to probe the individual lines, you should have power at the red from the flasher, key in "run" or "accessory", and power out on the individual left/ right lines

Notice that the 4 way flasher switch is interconnected here. IF all 4 "4 way" works, then all the wiring from the there to the lamps is OK and the lamps are OK. This is starting to look like a turn signal switch problem.

MAKE SURE that with key in run/ accessory, AND WITH the signal switch in either left/ right turn, AND with the hazard switch OFF, that you have power at the red line from the flasher.

One last check would be to JUMPER across the flasher plug. This of course should turn left/ right lamps on "solid" as the lever is moved.

Thanks for all the help!

I thought there was two separate flashers, I just couldn't find a second one. (this dash has really been hacked over the years. I need a new harness one of these days) So thanks for the diagram. I have those saved on my computer, but since I am on the road, it was very helpful!

Everything is working fine now. Thanks!!!

-
Back