help pick a cam

-

racingjoe67

Reaction score
I know this is bench racing, but I love it.
the 340 is over .030 . so, its a 345 now.
cast crank, forged rods with the works,10to 1 J&E flats with silvolite rings,
clevite bearings, hv oil pump.
the motor has 360 heads with 1.88 intake valves, 1.60 exhaust, I have the 273 adjustable rockers and bad asz pushrods . the cam is .480 on both and 236 dur.@ 50. I bought an LD340 intake. also have mp elec. dist. and chrome ecu.
#1 what size carb ??
#2 what kinda cam will go well for street and some 1/8 th mile draggin?
im planning on adding eddy heads, and was told not any biger than .530 lift. I want to be able to run pump gas without a pain in my a*$#@%. all advice is welcome.
thanx, joe

Street strip? 750 Holley. Edelbrock's have a small problem with big cams. Strip only? Double pumper. Same size/brand.
Cam with 360 heads? Since it is bench racing, the cam you have listed above is very good.

IDK, who told you stay under a certain lift with the Edelbrock heads, but crack is what they smoke. Choose a cam's duration based on the RPM band your working within and lift within the springs lift handling ability. Unless you use the cam manufacturer's springs.

Generally speaking, unless your building a seriously heavy breather of an engine, do not exceed lift past the heads max flowing valve lift.

A cam is e can be picked when all the facts are in. You have listed little.
Gear ratio
Tire size
Cars weight
Exact intended purpose
Etc...

at 10.1 comp and those heads, i would pick a cam in the 240's@ .050 dur, no more than a 112 cl, 110 would be good all around.

as for the lift restriction someone told u, NO...But i dont see much gain after about .550 lift and i would just increase the duration if i needed more air but didnt want to change heads or port. jmo

You gotta ok cam. Could be better. Lose the HV oil pump. It'll cost you HP, and unless you run a hardened oil pump drive shaft, the stock one might even break. That could suck. Bad.

eddy heads, eddy 7576 performer air gap , and holley 750 will get you over 400 HP...probably even with the cam you have in it....

Lose the HV oil pump. It'll cost you HP, and unless you run a hardened oil pump drive shaft, the stock one might even break.

Really, I mean......... Thousands of Mopars out there have hi vol pumps..... all of my engines do....... Never sheared a shaft, and the one HP is takes away probably isn't going to make a difference.

-
Back