help please, 318 will not idle

-

cruiser3042

Reaction score
Hello,i just installed a used 318 in my 66 dart . The engine will start easy but will not idle . i have a new electronic ignition ,plugs ,wires etc.
i tried to move it but unless you get it above 2500 rpm it Falls on its face and dies. i have no clue if the timing is right. it does start easy so it is getting fire and it must be close. the fuel pump looks old as hell so i was going to change it. i have 2 see thru filters before the pump and in front of the carb. the one by the fuel pump looks like it is not getting much fuel. I sprayed wd40 and no evidence of vac leaks anywhere. Im thinkin either timing or the fuel pump.
the car Sat for a year so it has fresh 5 gallons at least of fuel.

Im frustrated,any ideas would be much appreciated.

Tight bolts dont mean its sealed, spray water around manifold with engine running and see if anything changes, if it does thats your problem.

Sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning and a rebuild kit. Idling circuits in the carb are very small and most likely gummed up.

Sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning and a rebuild kit. Idling circuits in the carb are very small and most likely gummed up.
i had a holly on it and it did the same thing. so i got a used edelbrock from a friend. But it acts just like the holly did i had on it. Maby some carb cleaner might help. i can the engine at high idle and spray the carb.Dono

did you adjust the throttle cable accordingly between swaps? idle screw adjustment all the way out? choke? it sounds like a massive vacuum leak to me. is your intake to carb gasket any good and sealing?

did you adjust the throttle cable accordingly between swaps? idle screw adjustment all the way out? choke? it sounds like a massive vacuum leak to me. is your intake to carb gasket any good and sealing?
I pulled the carb off and put a new gasket,spray it at around 2k rpm.(it will only run above that or it dies) and no change in rpm all the way around the carb.The throttle cable is adjusted right. Did not mess with the idle . turned both idle and air in then back out 3 turns. No change.I moved the timing around a little but didnt systematically bump it to look for a change yet.The vac hoses etc all new.Its a edelbrock 650 carb. used and not sure last time it was used. it appears to be in good condition on the outside.
also it gas a electric choke,its not hooked up.

I pulled the carb off and put a new gasket,spray it at around 2k rpm.(it will only run above that or it dies) and no change in rpm all the way around the carb.The throttle cable is adjusted right. Did not mess with the idle . turned both idle and air in then back out 3 turns. No change.I moved the timing around a little but didnt systematically bump it to look for a change yet.The vac hoses etc all new.Its a edelbrock 650 carb. used and not sure last time it was used. it appears to be in good condition on the outside.
also if you try to drive the car ,unless you power brake and give it tons of gas it dies

also it gas a electric choke,its not hooked up.

why would you not try and back the idle down? this controls rpms. curb idle and timing go hand in hand depending on the particular engine set-ups. try plugging the vacuum port on the intake and disconnect the vacuum advance. edelbrock carbs have a big vacuum port on the back of them that needs to be plugged off as well

Hello,i just installed a used 318 in my 66 dart . The engine will start easy but will not idle . i have a new electronic ignition ,plugs ,wires etc.
i tried to move it but unless you get it above 2500 rpm it Falls on its face and dies. i have no clue if the timing is right. it does start easy so it is getting fire and it must be close. the fuel pump looks old as hell so i was going to change it. i have 2 see thru filters before the pump and in front of the carb. the one by the fuel pump looks like it is not getting much fuel. I sprayed wd40 and no evidence of vac leaks anywhere. Im thinkin either timing or the fuel pump.
the car Sat for a year so it has fresh 5 gallons at least of fuel.

Im frustrated,any ideas would be much appreciated.

And you wonder why you can't get it sorted out.

I hope the tank didn't have any old fuel in it.

Put a timing light on it and set initial to around 12* BTDC to start with and go from there. It should run with that as an initial setting.

Disconnect and plug EVERYTHING that is vacuum related on the carb.... EVERYTHING. Isolate the intake tract so you know you only have to deal with potential sealing issues at your baseplate and intake/head junction.

And you wonder why you can't get it sorted out.

I hope the tank didn't have any old fuel in it.

Put a timing light on it and set initial to around 12* BTDC to start with and go from there. It should run with that as an initial setting.

Disconnect and plug EVERYTHING that is vacuum related on the carb.... EVERYTHING. Isolate the intake tract so you know you only have to deal with potential sealing issues at your baseplate and intake/head junction.
I fixed it,it was three problems.
first-weak fuel pressure. i replaced the fuel pump.
second-on the intake the previous owner and i overlooked the plugs on the intake. 3 were barely tight.
last- This was the idle issue. I ran both fuel and air screws in and then backed out half turns on both until the lack of idle went away.
whew !!!
glad it was not worse problems :)

Thank you everyone that posted here.Very kind.And i hope i can return the favor.Maby someone will read this and it will save them the time i spent fig it out.

why would you not try and back the idle down? this controls rpms. curb idle and timing go hand in hand depending on the particular engine set-ups. try plugging the vacuum port on the intake and disconnect the vacuum advance. edelbrock carbs have a big vacuum port on the back of them that needs to be plugged off as well
good call ,thank you

Good deal.

Sounded like a vacuum leak and you found it! :)
Actually,all the other adjustments helped. The last thing i did was open both idle mixture screws half turns until it smoothed out.Before that the other adjustments did not resolve the lack of idle control.

-
Back