Help please, what is this?

-

slimjim

Reaction score
What is the groove in between the bearing and the crankshaft seal? Everyone I've asked hasn't had a clue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 156
What is the groove in between the bearing and the crankshaft seal? Everyone I've asked hasn't had a clue.

Should be a flange on the crankshaft that runs in that area. Something to do with limiting oil/control to rear main seal.

Should be a flange on the crankshaft that runs in that area. Something to do with limiting oil/control to rear main seal.

If you look on the main cap, there should be a drain hole located in that groove.

B-onefan is correct. The crank has a built-in oil slinger/flange. Keeps excess oil away from the rear main seal. The groove allows space for this flange.

Ok cool. I noticed the 1/4 in lip on the crankshaft as well as the drain hole but I wasn't sure if something else went in that slot to aid that process.

..............and a true story

Years ago, a small HVAC/R outfit I worked for had a V6 S-10 "shop truck." It used some oil, but we kept at it. The boss's daughter had the truck for a couple of weeks..........and seized the engine.

The boss wanted me to tear it down

So on the bench is the block, the crank, the bearings, the caps..............AND NO OIL SEAL

The thing had never had a seal from the factory!!! Absolutely no wear on the crank, nor any sign of anything in the seal groove!!!

-
Back