help pleaseeee

-

70dusta

Reaction score
me and a few buddies just tried gettin my duster runnin and were pretty confused. heres the deal when the cars in neutral i can get on and punch the gas as fast as i want and it will run mint and smooth but wen i put it in gear it will run horrible. it will backfire left and right no matter how much throttle is on, and as soon as i punch it it backfires and stalls. the only thing we can tink of is the timing chain beacuse we played with the timing and got nothing better
thanks for the help

If you think it's the chain pull the fuel pump off the side of the chain case cover and with your index finger reach in and around the corner and feel how much slop is in the chain. Should be very little.

How about this one guy.. A less greasy option. With your 1 1/4" socket on the crank bolt remove the distributor cap and watch as you move the crank back and forth till the rotor moves. See how many degrees "slop" you actually have. The backfire under load is usually indicitive of high secondary resistance such as an "open" plug or coil wire or an extreme lean condition such as low fuel pressure or stuck metering rods. Other culprits include a bad ignition coil... yes they do fail or balast resistor issues. I had an Accel Super coil go south one time and the car would run but only with the timing way advanced making me think like you that the timing chain had slipped..... See what kind of gap your spark will shoot.... should get a good 3/8 " without any trouble.

BD

Yes ditto to what Don said 18436572 clockwise for small block counter clockwise for big block.

thanks alot for your insight the hardest part for me 2 understand is i can do brakestands but as soon as the throttle is let off it backfires out the carb and stalls out usaully

Check #5 and #7...You may find them (the plug wires I mean) on reversed...

-
Back