Help quick need diagnosis!!!

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
my friend has a /6 75 dart sport automatic. he a member here but not very active. anyway, he called me this morning asking about his car. according to him, i guess he had an EGR light come on and stay on his dash. i assume basicall a check engine. the motor was rebuilt less that 100 miles ago by the previous owner so he was a bit confused. i wasnt 100% sure what EGR was but i asked him how it sounded. he said the motor and everything seemed to be running fine, but the light wouldnt go away. he did say that at 1st, it seemed like the gas pedal wasnt reacting or something, but then it decided to kick on (not really sure what that ment). anyway i wasnt too helpful but told him since he was in a hurry and had no other means of transport that if he was sure it sounded ok to just drive it how it is and call me when he wasnt busy

can anyone please tell me what may have gone wrong with the car?

Mopar electrical gremlins maybe? I would not worry about the idiot light as long as he has strong oil pressure and the coolant, temp and ammeter levels are OK.

Sounds like a loose connection between the seat and the steering wheel.

he just called again sayin the car seemed to drive fine, but at some point of turning i believe he said he heard a pop, like he hit a pothole. there was not pothole. hes been talking about how his steering was a bit loose and now its tightend. he thought it was something with the power steering, which i kinda ruled out since he said the steering wasnt too abd. and when you go from power to no power, its obvious!

just thought id add any info i can get

I think that this car is of the era were they had a switch that counted the miles and turn on the EGR light as a service reminder. The mechanic was to reset the switch at time of service. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

slant6/4speed is correct; that EGR light is on a mileage counter spun by the speedometer cable. Remove the bulb from the dash socket.

Or follow the speedo cable and you may find it there. Like a box,part of the cable and you reset it with a 1/4 turn of a screwdriver.They started that around 74 along with the seatbelt/ignition setup. I only remember resetting a few of those but 36years was a long time ago.One thing I should have never done was to give away all my manuals.

slant6/4speed is correct; that EGR light is on a mileage counter spun by the speedometer cable. Remove the bulb from the dash socket.

THIS. Leave it to Dan to come up with the direct approach.

-
Back