help reading ring gear pattern (pix)

-

redlightrich1

Reaction score
Hello all, can someone with better knowlege point me in the right direction? This is an 8.75 (489), I have .029 shim in pinion ( currently using a checking bearing) the checking distance richmond calls for is 2.763 and that is exactly where I put it. Richmond said to use .008-.010 for backlash, the gear is marked .010, I have it at .009. I am not quite sure what part of the pattern is the most important. I tried to get good pix of drive and coast side. I used a wood wedge to add friction for the pattern. Thanks for help. This is a 3.91 gearset if that matters.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• pinion pattern 391 003.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 384
  • pinion pattern 391 004.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 378
  • pinion pattern 391 006.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 360
  • pinion pattern 391 008.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 355
  • pinion pattern 391 009.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 356
Add more pinion shims. Doesn't look deep enough, too close to the face.

When you mark the pattern, make sure you have some drag on the carrier, run hand on ring gear while turning pinion. That way the marking compound gets moved correctly. If you didn't recompound it and try again.

Look on page 14, top left, that's your pattern, correct.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billa...Ring and Pinion installation instructions.pdf

I agree with Rob. It should be more centered. That pinion checking depth is only given as a guide. The pattern is what counts. Also, the drive side is all that needs to be checked. Lastly, I would run the backlash tight. We used to run zero backlash on the race car and let it wear the backlash in. Generally on street cars I put in around .005"-008".

I am not quite sure what you are saying. Are you saying the mesh is not deep enough (like it need to get closer to the part of ring that is bolted down) or is it too much front or back? I was under the impression that a high pattern ( towards very top of teeth) was set by less backlash?
I am not arguing, I just am not clear as to what is being seen.

Thank you

Thanks Crackedback, the second link you sent works and after reading it I beleive I understand what to look at. I am definately too shallow. Its funny that sometimes something said in a different way sinks in better. Once again, many thanks for the great link.

Rich

-
Back