HELP! Rocker shaft, no oil comming out!

-

64dart170

Reaction score
HELP!
Working on my 1964 Dodge Dart 273 V-8, stock
Was adjusting rockers. Put back together. Wife says "Passenger side still sounds loud. Took covers off and ran, drivers side oil came out of tops of all the rocker arms. Passenger side nothing!
Took off coil wire and rocker shaft assembly and turned over. 2nd to back bolt has half moon oil port, and was squirting oil onto fender well. Cleaned assembly and rockers. Reinstalled with proper torque. Radjusted all rockers again. Fired it up still no oil on rockers. Backed out bolt where oil pass. is and oil came out around bolt and steel stamped retainer. Tigned it down still nothing! Took off assembly and tried again, oil squirts out ok!
When installing rocker shaft assemblies I am beeing sure to put notch end on pass side to the rear and oil holes toward centerline of engine.
Why is the oil still not comming out? Should I crack open 2nd from front to see if air will bleed and let oil come out of that end of rocker shaft?
HELP! Please advise!!!!!!!:banghead:

sure shaft isnt backwards?edit should have read whole post. swap shafts side to side to determine if problem is shaft

passenger side notch towards firewall and oil holes down and toward exhaust...

driver side...notch towards radiator and oil holes down and towards exhaust

passengers side notch to the rear but the holes go towards center line of engine not towards exhuast. The 67 manual said holes towards center line of engine but 64 manual has no instructions. any help would be great. thanks!

is the shaft clogged up with gunk or anything that would restrict flow
Took it out again. Taped off all holes except last 3 oil ports and blew air through and was comming out the 3 holes. Put back together. Fired it up got all but 3 of them to lube. Lossened shaft, blew air and a couple of drips of ATF down holes. Engine cooling while I'm eating Dinner/breakfast!
I thought you had to leave everything in order due to break in on each rocker/valve? If I shift shafts from side to side will that throw everything out of wack? Please advise, Thanks!

OK, now that I have food in me, may be I should retorque & readjust. Put it back together, drive it to parts store, engine flush, oil change 20/50, filter. Then take it up the hill like I stole it, come back and take a look again?

whatever you do don't put engine flush in the motor. that stuff can break up the sludge and put it right through the system and possibly plug up an oil galley and trash the motor. if the notch is facing the back on the pass. side then its ok. the oil on that side is fed through as the cam lines up with the hole in the bearing making it hard sometimes to tell if its getting oil. if you still suspect no oil to the rockers pull the shaft and take a look. the galley inside the shaft is huge and you would have a TON of sludge to plug it up. not very likely.

If your taking the bolt out of the oil passage rocker shaft stand and it is oiling then it has to be cloged holes, either the shaft itself or the oil holes in the bottom of the shaft. Take that side off and remove the soft plugs on the ends of the shaft, I'll bet it's full of sludge.

Just a side note, what if you have aftermarket shafts with no notch...are they interchangeable from side to side then (with the oil hole down of course)?

Well I readjusted everything. Took it for a test drive and it has never sounded better. I can't even hear it from inside! I will take it to parts in AM and change the oil & filter. Test drive again and check under valve cover to see if everything is wet. Thanks Again guys!!!!!
Sorry I sound so dumb sometimes, I have never adjusted valve lash before let alone take off the shaft assembly! Learned more than I ever wanted to today. Kind of touch and go, our only driver right now!!!!

even an old dog can learn a new trick
LOL! Yea Daredevel, I've always been into the body and interior more than engine area!!
Just like in the Airforce, (wiring on planes) "A few weeks ago this crap looked like so much electronic spegetti, but now I can read it like a roadmap! Chuckle/snork!!!!!!!!

-
Back