HELP! Shortening my driveshaft

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
My 67 dart originally came with a 318/904tranny/7.25 rear end.*

Now I'm putting her back together with a 318/TCI 727 streetfighter transmission/8.75" rear end.*

I need to know how much I will need to shorten my driveshaft. And is the best place to have this done at a machine shop?

I've found this table in the past http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/4563759-PartNoDriveshafts.pdf Not sure how accurate it is, but it seems like it would work my 67 Dart setup. The only reason I thought it was weird was it listed two different part numbers for the same exact setup for one car (I think a 70 something Duster). The 67 Dart stuff appears to be right though from my measurements.

After you put the car together, you will measure the distance between the trans out put shaft and center of joint as it sits in the end yoke.

Then you tell that info along with the trans and series joint the diff uses and see a driveshaft shop, machine shops don't balance driveshafts.

You have a few driveline shops in CA, if you can't find one, see a big truck shop and ask them who they use to balance there shafts.

Might be too late now, but i would send that tci trans right back and see Martin Saine perf, especially since you are in CA

After you put the car together, you will measure the distance between the trans out put shaft and center of joint as it sits in the end yoke.

Then you tell that info along with the trans and series joint the diff uses and see a driveshaft shop, machine shops don't balance driveshafts.

You have a few driveline shops in CA, if you can't find one, see a big truck shop and ask them who they use to balance there shafts.

Might be too late now, but i would send that tci trans right back and see Martin Saine perf, especially since you are in CA

why do u say that about the trans?

and also, i'll look around for a driveline shop

You want to make sure the car is sitting with the weight of the car on the axles. Put a yoke into the transmission, pull it out 1 inch. Measure from the center of the yoke to the center of the pinion on the rear axle. Thats the measurement you want.

You want to make sure the car is sitting with the weight of the car on the axles. Put a yoke into the transmission, pull it out 1 inch. Measure from the center of the yoke to the center of the pinion on the rear axle. Thats the measurement you want.

thanks you! that is what i was lookin for.! i also did not know that the weight needed to be on the axles before doing this. now i know. should I have the pinion angle set already? i'm not sure the exact process of checkking and setting the pinion angle, but when should I do it?

why do u say that about the trans?

and also, i'll look around for a driveline shop

After going thru almost every local trans builder here in this state..... I looked outside and went with famous names...
The 1st time with tci, it lasted a month.. after much bs, the 2nd one i scattered all over the floor of the pavement, some of it tried very hard to get thru the floor of the car, that one was about 5 days after instal and just about 20' out of a launch...
since then i have blown up many a famous trans... except for A&A trans and Martin Saine perf.

-
Back