Help, Slant 93 Octane street turbo build

-

crazyjjk

Reaction score
Probably on here or somewhere but i have not found it. I have an itch to pull my 360 and put a turbo 225 slant six in my 37 Dodge Sedan. (Lets pretend its an early A-body:tard:) Looking for a decent turbo build for the street. Something that will run on 93 Octane. Does anyone have a build like this or know of a build like this that I can blatantly duplicate? I have both a 70 SL6 which needs a rebuild and a 71 with only 31K on it.

Attachments

• 37Dodge5.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 230
try pishta's builld(pretty much a stock engine with a little head work done, nice budget on it too!I think it's the way I will go) or contact Bill grissom ( intercooled road eating machine now that it's running for him). both have turbo setups . also another member on here has umm /6Mat ( I think that's it but not sure) they have the /6 turbo builds from mild to wild on here.

Go to slantsix.org it is devoted to slants. There isn't always much life there, but some of the wisest and most slant experienced hang out there.

Probably on here or somewhere but i have not found it. I have an itch to pull my 360 and put a turbo 225 slant six in my 37 Dodge Sedan. (Lets pretend its an early A-body:tard:) Looking for a decent turbo build for the street. Something that will run on 93 Octane. Does anyone have a build like this or know of a build like this that I can blatantly duplicate? I have both a 70 SL6 which needs a rebuild and a 71 with only 31K on it.

I love your car!!!

And, I love the idea of putting a turbo /6 in it...

I am kinda new at this, but I have learned a few things about what it takes to make these forced-induction slants live on pump gas.

Limit your boost to 10 pounds; that will require a waste gate.
Limit your spark advance (under BOOST) to 18 degrees... that's right, eighteen degrees Engines under boost don't need nearly as much advance
If you do NOTHING else, buy a wideband, datalogging, A/F ratio meter; trying to do this job without one is like trying to understand how women think; impossible. I mean that.
Put a water/alcohol spray chemical intercooler on it and you shouldn't need a "real" intercooler. Snowperformance makes the one I use.
A two barrel carb (Holley 350 or 500) on a Super Six intake manifold will do this engine nicely, and won't break the bank.
The turbo slant sixes really like load, so do yourself a favor and install a 2.76 or 2.93 rear axle ratio. Great hiway gear and great on the drag strip, too.
These turbo engines don't like high rpm (don't NEED it,) so stock, 340 valve springs work well in this app. You could use the stock cam too, but a little more lift couldn't hurt. If you replace the cam, keep the duration @ .050" doen around 210 on both valves. And pick one with about 115 degrees of lobe separation.
I would recommend a forged crank, but that is not critical.
Stock 225 rods should work well in this motor.
Did you know that the main bearings (in the forged crank motor) in a slant six are the same size as the mains in a 426 Hemi? They are..

Ten pounds of boost doesn't sound like much, but I am here to tell you that ten pounds of boost makes a TOTALLY DIFFERNT ENGINE out of a slant six.

Get ready to smile... :D

and, good luck with this; it's a brilliant idea!!!:cheers:

Lots of folks on here will be happy to answer any and all of the questions that you'll have as the build progresses; the only dumb one is the one you don't ask...

How much does that gorgeous car weigh, BTW?

try pishta's builld(pretty much a stock engine with a little head work done, nice budget on it too!I think it's the way I will go) or contact Bill grissom ( intercooled road eating machine now that it's running for him). both have turbo setups . also another member on here has umm /6Mat ( I think that's it but not sure) they have the /6 turbo builds from mild to wild on here.
If you're refering to me, I'm afraid I'm only of limited help in the turbocharging dept.

Btw, welcome to the best forum online! Nice car!

Thank you everyone for all your help, and the nice compliments about my car. It has about a 3 inch chop and is very much a work in progress. Bill, I have been following your project for a long time both here and on the slant six forum. All I can say is it is impressive and I thank you for all the great info you give. I truly hope I can get somewhere that you are running it sometime. I would love to see it in person.
Well I am now putting the pieces together. I have a couple of slant sixes and I am in the process of looking for a reasonable turbo. Something on the order of a Holset HX35. Am going to make a header flange and try to build myself some turbo headers for it. One good thing is my engine compartment gives me a little more room to plumb things than the A-bodies. Especially up on top as I have a lot of hood clearance.
Hopefully by next winter I will be ready to pull the 360 out and put the slant in. Any suggestions/criticisms would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Bill the car weighs about 3200 lbs. It looks big and bulky but is actually shorter than most later A-bodies. Sure if I tried a little I could get it under 3000 lbs but its just a street car that I go to the cruise ins with. Just feel everyone and their brother has a V8 in their street rod. I like the wow factor of having the slanty with a turbo under the hood.

Bill the car weighs about 3200 lbs. It looks big and bulky but is actually shorter than most later A-bodies. Sure if I tried a little I could get it under 3000 lbs but its just a street car that I go to the cruise ins with. Just feel everyone and their brother has a V8 in their street rod. I like the wow factor of having the slanty with a turbo under the hood.

Trust me; 3,200 pounds will combine with 10 pounds of boost to put a BIG smile on your face! You won't believe how much power that little engine can make with 10 pounds of boost...

But, rather than building a header, I'd use Pishta's setup. It's plenty for your build. Just my opinion...

I recall reading that the slant doesn't fit the engine bays designed for the old flathead six very well. The slant is supposed to be longer, but I think it sounds like a great project.

If it is length that isn't a problem, as I have moved my firewall back some. And if it doesn't fit then I guess I will have to build an early A body /225 drag car.

-
Back