Help something fried

-
Reaction score
My 67 Barracuda Daily driver has had wiring issues for a little bit, no gauges intermittent dash lights, but my issue is sometimes I get no spark at all. but if I turn the key to off, where you can remove the key it punches the starter and I had to do this to get home if I bonk it till it quits doing that it starts up fine. today I tried that and was rewarded with a big cloud from under my hood and now I only have 6 volts at the positive terminal of my coil. how big a fool am I and what did I fry I had to leave the car at work overnight.

You probably only fried the ballast resistor on the fire wall. They're cheap. You should carry a spare in the glove box.

more information I have had this wiring harness repaired three times and there are a few wires hardwired "straight" through the bulkhead I already purchased the Engine side wiring harness but I cannot replace it as it has been wired together.

Read this for some background: http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html#axzz2I9x00QoU

Read this:http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml for an explanation of the MAD bypass mod (a highly beneficial mod), which is probably what was already done to your wiring harness which makes it difficult to replace. Undo the wires on the back of the ammeter (after disconnecting the positive battery cable) and then remove the old harness. Mod the new harness as explained in MAD and then install the new harness.

Good luck!

6 volts at the coil with ign switch in run position is about right and showing the ballast resistor and more are good. I don't know where the smoke under the hood could come from other than the buck head connector. You already know you need a ignition switch. That very likely where the short originated.

I tried both a new ignition switch, still punched the motor. and by punched it sends spark as you release the key and fires the motor backwards, wierd. the smoke is/ was coming from the ballast resistor which I also replaced and it tried to run but only in crank position. bulkhead connector rattled loose and when I re plugged it it pushed the secondary ignition grey wire out the front.:eek:ops: ta dah I am going to just purchase the dash half of the wiring harness, the part I don't currently have, from year one and solve everything thanks for your help.

-
Back