Help spec'ing out a new small block

-
Hi Bill, to add to your information overload, my Arrow has a 422, 340 X block with 4.10 bore, 4.00 stroke, 12.9 to 1 compression, blue plug W5 heads that have been fully ported, Bullet .685 lift solid roller cam, Holley Pro Dominator tunnel ram with dual Venom 850s reworked by Dom Thumper. This engine has done 8.90 @ 155. But it's in a full chassis lightweight car with 4 link and a powerglide. Point is you don't have to go all exotic to run 9s. The 72 Dart I had previous had a 383 small block, based on a .070 over 360 stock block, 3.685 stroke crank with 6" SBC rods, W2 econo heads, Comp Cams solid roller cam with .654 I / .655 E lift, Victor W2 intake with a 1050 dominator in front of a 9 inch 4500 stall converter, 727TF with manual reverse VB with brake, 5.13 gears in a D60. It would rung low 10s all day long with a best of 9.97 at 135. Again, a fairly economical build that performed well and consistently.

I know where there is a 318 core I could pick up but would rather have a 360...I have a extra set of J heads that need a bottom end.

I know its already been said in here, but with a chassis setup that light, I personally do not feel that an aftermarket block is needed to run an LA based engine into the nines...unless of course you are wanting to go 14:1 compression and up N/A, then maybe, or you are planning to grow by throwing a power adder at it in the future. If this is strictly a race setup, you also have the option of a short or even tall fill in the water jackets to help with block strength/cylinder wall rigidity if you are really concerned (although a short fill can live on the street should you want to put it back).

-
Back