Help TC won't drop in place

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
In the middle of trying to install my transmission and can't seem to get the TC to drop all the way down. It's 904 tranny that I just had rebuilt with new TC, I have been trying to get the TC to drop into place and it just don't seem to drop any farther down then what u see in the picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 236
As long as you have the correct converter, it should drop. Turn it one way, and back the other just keep working it until you hear the two thuds as has been explained before.

I'm trying upload more photos but u phone won't do it any help would be very grateful

I have been working this thing back and forth for over 2 hours it just don't want to go.
Thanks I will keep working it I counted the spines on the trans and the TC both are the same numbers.

Lay the trans down at an angle to take some of the weight off the converter.

Pull the converter and check to make sure something isn't boogered up.

Just tried it laying the tranny down and with a block of wood at the back it still will just not go in

Here is a picture of the teams splines

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 236
Here is a picture of I side the TC don't know if it will help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 222
I'm not sure if it makes a difference, or if it will help, but is the shift lever in the Park position?

Just went and checked it it wasn't in park but I tried it Park and still won't go in

I'm thinking the TC is not the correct one but not sure I've never had to fight this hard with one not that Ive done a lot of them this is kicking my butt

i think the older ones have to have the drive lugs about 1/2 inch back from the face of the case.

Update I just took the TC for a 904 /6 I have laying around and it will not drop in either the. I took the /6 TC and but in the spare tranny it fell right into place. Then I took the new TC and put it in the /6 tranny and it went it as it is suppose to but neither one will fit in my newly rebuilt tranny. So now what do I do

Compare the two shafts/splines on both trans's to see if there is a difference. If they are the same, inspect the splines on the rebuild more carefully.

I thing I figured it out the spline on my rebuilt tranny has more teeth smaller gap.
The slant tranny has bigger gap. Someone tell me if I'm seeing this correctly

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 192
First pic is of rebuilt tranny this one is my /6 tranny

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 187
At this point I would get the rebuilder involved to cover any warranty.

The rebuilder rebuilt the trans, if he provided the torque converter then yes, if not, a new TC is in order.

Those splines don't seem to match.

........looks to be different spline count coarse up to and including 1967, 68 up uses a finer spline count........Alright I will explain this 1 more time.............the pump gears turn in an eccentric shape with out the converter in place.....the only sure fire way to get it in is to turn the pump lugs to 6 and 12 o'clock positions using a thin screw driver, this way the pump gears are centered and the converter will litterly fall into place.....make sure u have the tranny standing straight up on the tail shaft....comprende?....kim.......

................Alright I will explain this 1 more time.............the pump gears turn in an eccentric shape with out the converter in place.....the only sure fire way to get it in is to turn the pump lugs to 6 and 12 o'clock positions using a thin screw driver, this way the pump gears are centered and the converter will litterly fall into place.....make sure u have the tranny standing straight up on the tail shaft....comprende?....kim.......

IF the spline count isn't the same, it's not going to fit is it?

Are there two different splined input shafts?

The first 904 tranny,s have a 18 spline input shaft up to 67,then went to the 27 spline shaft from 68 forward and then changed to a 26 spline shaft for the lock up units,mrmopartech

Email me the serial number on the side of the tranny to see what day-year the tranny is,mrmopartech

Here r the numbers I have on my tranny
Bell houseing 075-5
On the flat plate it looks likes 9C271and cannot make out the last threedigits
Side of transmission number 3410075-5
That's all the numbers I can see

What's with the double secret probation garbage.

Look on the pan rail, same side as the shift mechanism. There is a PK#######

Also there may be two additional 4 digit sequences. If it has 9C271xxx on the vin pad, that's a 1969

341xxxx is usually a 1970 model year trans.

So it's should be the later spline, unless someone swapped the parts.

-
Back