Help understanding body part interchangeability

-

MCPObr44

Reaction score
Hopefully someone who has a better understanding of these cars than I do can give me some advice.

I have a 1971 Plymouth Valiant 4 door sedan with a bashed in right fender that I want to replace. I considered just doing some barnyard body work and making the passenger door be able to open again but once I pulled the fender off the car I decided the rust rot made that pointless. So I am on the search for a new fender.

When I go to a place that manufactures reproduction steel body parts (no fiberglass thanks), oftentimes they don't have a fender for a 1971 Valiant. I know that some parts from other A bodies interchange, for example I know the Plymouth Duster from the same era has the same grill as the Valiant and interchanges. My question is what cars from what years have the same fender as my 71 Valiant? Would a Duster or Scamp fender fit and follow the body lines? Take this one for example.... www.autobodyspecialt.com - RH197071DUSTER1971SCAMPFRONTFENDER

For that matter what years of Valiant fenders would fit my 71? Would any third gen 67-73 fender fit?

Thanks guys

I found out the hard way the not all fenders that should be interchangeable are. I have a fender that looks like a 67 to 69 dart. But the area where the headlight trim mounts was a 1/2 inch too far back and the holes didnt line up.
So double check before you buy

Valiant (2 or 4 door) Scamp and Duster fenders from ‘67 thru ‘76 will work. Only difference will be near/around where it mounts to the rad support area. And the hole/mounting for the turn signals.

Easiest swap would be finding a fender for a ‘70 or 71 Valiant, Duster or Scamp. That would bolt up with no issues and the marker light would be the same.

Aren't the markers different some years? 67 Has no side markers

Aren't the markers different some years? 67 Has no side markers

Yes. '67 has no side markers, '68 has a round sidemarker. '70 and '71 have the same recessed rectangular side makers. '72-76 uses the rectangular plastic side markers that are raised up off the fenders.

The only one I'm not sure about is the '69 side marker. It's a recessed, rectangular marker but I'm not 100% sure it's the same as 70/71.

The Duster/Valiant/Scamp fenders from '67-76 will physically bolt up, but in addition to the sidemarkers there will also be some differences in the grille and headlight mounting holes/tabs. Nothing that should be unsurmountable, but you may need to drill an extra hole or two depending on the year used.

-
Back