Help - vibrations from front end on new 14s not there with the 13s on

-
ford rims on a mopar? It just don't work. The center hole is too small.
2x

I have just beat some ford steel wheels off a F- body parts car.

This may have been said BUT: Look and see if the lug nuts are too long for the wheel and wheel stud. The lug nuts will be tight but the wheel will wobble.

Send the wheels to me I have a set of steels with no wobble I'll trade for

How about getting the tires balanced ON the car? There are still a few places around that have the balancer to do this. Or, swap them front to back...or jack up the car and use a dial indicator on the rims and see if they're running out!

I think(IMHO) that BigWhips idea might be correct on the lug nuts and stud issue, at least for a place to start.

ok....reading the posts ....will jack it up soon as I get some spare time and attempt some of the suggestions....I will be sure to post what I find so those of you that are correct get the pure satisfaction......I got the rims in Dearborn Michigan from a very nice guy ---he had a garage full of pure mopar cars ad one in his yard.....the rims look way better than I imagined possible on this ol girl......father in law owns a tool and die shop.....will see if I can get front end off the ground and check it with some gauges he has--- but will first remove them and take to tire store.....second take off fronts and rotate to backs since all same size tires

I think(IMHO) that BigWhips idea might be correct on the lug nuts and stud issue, at least for a place to start.

I share that same thought. If the shanks on the lug nuts are too long for the wheels then it will cause this issue. I had that problem with a set of wheels about 40 years ago so I took the lug nuts to the grinder and ground about 1/8" off them to the proper length. That cured my problem.

as mentioned above, check your.lugs but also torque your wheels. I had an aluminum wheel set , you could always tell when those kids would use an impact. crazy wobble.

you could always tell when those kids would use an impact.

Around here we have Les Schwab tire joints. My Dad and I went to them for years, until "a few things."

Had them swap my Mom's summer/ winter tires/ wheels and SPECIFICALLY asked 'em to check tire pressure. Drove 4 miles into town to get fuel, and one tire was nearly flat it was so low.

But worse, they use impacts, and then ----"use"--- torque wrenches. The way that they "use" them, is they take the clicker wrench, yank on it, then jump on it with their weight a couple of times.

After a little "of this" I don't go anymore. Sorry Les. Turn back over, now.

Several people have told you here to jack up the car and CHECK RUNOUT (wobble) Do that before you worry about "rebalance" You can "balance" all you want, and if something is not bent/ not seating/ bad tire/ other it will not drive smoothly.

Like I had posted above. I ran into this . If it is drums and they have weights on them. The wheels are hitting the weights and not seating true against the drum. Easy fix is grind the corner of the weight off or remove it.

took left front wheel off and put on one of the old 13s ..I do feel the wiggle on all four tires one of the previous posters mentioned but the left front wheel or tire is the problem for sure....ran gloves over the tire and treads and looked it over and tire looks and feel fine---rim looks perfect too....one of you mentioned perhaps the lugs need to be ground off a little...will look into that too now....will simply add an additional washer to reduce the depth .....wheel weights not rubbing on anything.....was able to get up to 45 mph in town with no other big problems.....will talk to the tire store though and mention to them perhaps this style car needs a different tire type to not wiggle like a poster mentioned...the wiggle isn't a problem but under 10 mph I do notice what he said...

finally got is buffed -- will upload a couple more.....now the back wheel wells that are swelling in couple spots show haha

Attachments

• 66 convert cover.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 66 convertible.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 1966 Convertible.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 163
I picked up a wobble when I went from my 13" wheels to 14 inch MOPAR ralley wheels. I have had them balanced twice and the front end checked out, it is mostly new. One thing that I have wondered is whether the later ralley wheels (still 5 on 4) might have been set up for larger lugs than my 7/16 and that it might be possible of have the wheels not center correctly. The wheel holes do not look all egged out. I did get some tapered closed lug nuts new for these wheels. I am not running washers on the lug nuts. The comments on the weights brushing the control arm is very possible. If they hit very hard you will really notice it and it won't only be at low speeds. Now that they use steel weights instead of lead the weights won't "self clear". Assuming the wheel lug holes are not egged out and that the wheels are are not bent or tires separated something has to be moving around. What about some liquid or fix a flat in the tires? Last comment, a rear wheel out of balance can feel like a front wobble. The difference is you won't be feeling it in the steering wheel like an out of balance front tire. The balance it on the car comment is a good one. I can't find anyone who does that around here. My wobble is very mild and at just about exactly 32 mph. I am going to try some of the suggestions here.

On that lug nut issue that would be if the lug nuts were too what shallow ie not enough thread? If they are too "long" they would still tighten down. So the solution of grinding them off would be at the wheel end. i am not understanding how that would get the tighter. The lug nuts I have are tapered and closed on the outside. If I grind off some of the taper (towards the wheel) they would be slightly wider where they seat. I fell like I am missing something.

There are three styles of wheel attachments. 1)Coniocal seat ie.tapered seat 2) Mag wheel style---in different lengths 3) bolts--not found on Mopar

If the mag wheel shank extends past the mag wheel then it is too long and will bottom out first and not tighten the mag wheel.

Attachments

• 2013-6-20 lug nuts.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 149
No way will a balance issue be detected at 15 mph speeds...will be an out of roundness/wobble or wheel is not properly secured. During wheel balancing, if tire is grossly out of balance, anybody with a pulse would have noticed massive amounts of weights needed to balance tire..

it have been driving it about a mile to the home I am working so many hours on to rebuild....driving with one old 13 on the front left.....no weights hitting on the other tires for sure

Just as a side note....I really need to have the motor worked on....it smokes so much people get in the other lane when they are driving behind me, haha....a true mosquito control vehicle....rus well, motor sounds great but it smokes so much that when it warms up I think it is half diesel haha

Attachments

• 66 convert.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 125
I understand this just correcting the person that stated ford wheels don't work on mopar
But thanks
Some Ford does have a smaller register hole then mopar, Mopar fits for ford but Ford doesn't fit mopar. That is Steel wheels only. Mag 500's are interchangable. 4 1/2 bp only.

There are three styles of wheel attachments. 1)Coniocal seat ie.tapered seat 2) Mag wheel style---in different lengths 3) bolts--not found on Mopar

If the mag wheel shank extends past the mag wheel then it is too long and will bottom out first and not tighten the mag wheel.

Thanks for that clairification. I was thinking about closed acorns and regular lug nuts. I have seen those shank nuts before.

On a steel rally wheel I have been assuming that the tapered acorn is correct.

BillGrissom has it right. Check the center hole in the 13" wheel and then check the 14" wheel. If the 14" is larger even 1/8" it will cause this. The center hole has to fit the hub to center the wheel. The lug nuts only capture the wheel. Lug nuts WILL NOT center the wheel. I went through all your pain and stumbled upon the hub centric rings. I couldn't find one that fit both my wheel and my hub. I bought one that fit the wheel and was too small for the hub. I put them on the lathe and turned them out to the correct ID. Runs smooth as silk now. Check here for centric rings. http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?cat=hubcentric
Tom

-
Back