Help w/340 Pricing

-

GTXperience

Orig Stealth Mod
Reaction score
I have a 340 ('69 casting) that I had built many moons ago. An exhaust lobe flattened out and the motor probably only had two hundred miles on it at best. A friend/acquaintance of mine expressed interest in buying it and I wanted to get some feedback what you folks thought was a fair price. This is only going to be for the short block (along with a pair of rebuildable O-heads) since he doesn't want the W2 setup (which was brand new at the time and also has less than 200 miles on it).

Again, it's a:

•340 block ('69 casting) powder painted very close to Chrysler Blue: bored/honed .030 over w/torqueplates & line honed. Tapped for gear drive. Includes: timing chain cover (powder painted blue), water pump & balancer.
•TRW 10.5:1 pistons
•340 steel crank (turned 10/10)
•340 rods recon'd
•Clevite bearings
•Milodon gear drive
•Milodon HV oil pump
•340 Windage Tray
•Moroso Oil Pan

Since he probably won't want to use the W2 setup, I told him I have a set of virgin (1969/70 2.02 O-heads) to go with the motor. They are complete with rocker assemblies, pushrods, etc. They will need to be gone through. Also included are a set of chrome Direct Connection valve covers and and attaching bolts.

There is no intake manifold included but I do have several rebuildable carbs that I can include.

Also have a new hydraulic Comp Cam ($140) that should work well with this motor for his purposes. I forgot the specs but supposedly is the largest hydraulic cam you can run with a stock HP convertor and 3.23-3.55 gears.

So, what do you guys think would be a fair price? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

It would have to be torn down and cleaned thoroughly. It may need new bearings. All a crapshoot.

If you included the cam probably in the 750-900 range might be fair.

That's what I would pay for something like that. Maybe a grand with the W2's :bootysha:

Never sold a short block or a complete engine. I have sold a machined block only for $600. Depends on the market.

It would have to be torn down and cleaned thoroughly. It may need new bearings. All a crapshoot.

If you included the cam probably in the 750-900 range might be fair.

That's what I would pay for something like that. Maybe a grand with the W2's :bootysha:

Cracked, I'm glad I saw that little bootyshake guy because I thought you were serious about including the W2s for a grand total. Damn, the work on the heads was more than that.

I agree about a teardown. I mentioned to him that I would definitely replace the cam bearings (I think I knicked one or two when I removed the cam) and that it should be torn down to check the bearings and the rings.

I gave $1000 for my long block. 340's aren't that easy to come by. I'd guess somewhere between $750 and $1000 would be fair. How good a friend is he? I don't think they will ever be worth any less,than they are now.

Thanks for the feedback. Does the $750-$1000 range you suggested for the shortblock only or are you including the O-heads & valve covers, new cam, etc.

One thing that's got me thinking is the Milodon gear drive. They cost almost $400 and this one is pretty much brand new (in terms of miles on it). I may use it in another project and buy a new double roller setup for this motor.

Thanks for the feedback. Does the $750-$1000 range you suggested for the shortblock only or are you including the O-heads & valve covers, new cam, etc.

One thing that's got me thinking is the Milodon gear drive. They cost almost $400 and this one is pretty much brand new (in terms of miles on it). I may use it in another project and buy a new double roller setup for this motor.

I pretty much agree with the others: $750 - $950 or so. As for the gear drive, if you have any thoughts of using it on a future project, just keep it and throw in a quality chain / gear set with the deal. The gear drive though "nearly new" is still a used piece and even though it costs about $400 today, I don't think it will allow you to get anymore for the setup anyway. In other words, the gear drive is probably worth more to you than it is to someone else.

-
Back