HELP/WANTED/NEED

-

jazak5

Reaction score
I F_ _ _ _ _ UP %$###@#@ while installing my sure grip I was in a rush and bent the collar with the impact/nut won't adjust /// I might as well go with green bearings now !! I need 69 A body 8 3/4 passenger side adjustment nut and collar

and proper adjusting method/end play

They are available at most parts stores.

Install with nut backed off then adjust the nut in to factory end play specs using a dial indicator. Or do what I do and adjust to just a "very" small amount of play by feel. Install the lock on forward lower stud after adjusting!

Last edited:
ok opinion :thankyou:
1. new taper bearings/collar
2. I see that green bearings have a retainer plate/c-clip
3. ??? will a cheap 12 ton press do the retaining collars ???

Yep. Northern tool/ harbor freight. Fastened down though tightly, for better rigidity.

That is what I have used for years. You may be able to save the collar but you should post a picture of the damage. Pretty simple job IMO.

I am just fine with the taper, green may be required by some racing but for a street car stick with taper JMO!

I have straightened a few of those plates.
The greens do not need any adjusting, but the thrust block inside the diff has to be removed. That means the chunk has to come out, the case removed,split open and there is your block. About 3 or 4 hours later, it's ready for the axles with the greens installed.
Or you can replace the tapered bearing and plate in a half hour or so.

I have straightened a few of those plates.
The greens do not need any adjusting, but the thrust block inside the diff has to be removed. That means the chunk has to come out, the case removed,split open and there is your block. About 3 or 4 hours later, it's ready for the axles with the greens installed.
Or you can replace the tapered bearing and plate in a half hour or so.

Never used the greens but thought the thrust block had to be pulled.

I take it if you can see through the centre chunk through the little hole to the other side, that the thrust block is removed? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ya it's not there, did you remove it or was it missing all along?

Not to hijack anyone elses thread here but when my fella built the diff centre he removed the thrust block. I'm having problems installing the rear disk brakes on an 8 3/4 diff. I had to install green bearings on my axles due to using the rear disk brakes.

If no thrust block you have to run green bearings.

-
Back