help?what is this 4 speed

-

70ronzdart

Reaction score
hi everyone picked up a 4 speed today very cheap looks to be in good shape inside n out but need help iding it the numbers are pp8332929 thinking 3 speed od out of a van? will it work in a 70 dart? is it a b n e body trans and will it work in the dart?

/

The tranny you have is a 4 speed unit built on august 5 1969.Its not a O/D unit and count the splines of the input shaft and post them,mrmopartech

The tranny you have is a 4 speed unit built on august 5 1969.Its not a O/D unit and count the splines of the input shaft and post them,mrmopartech
counted the splines 23 this tranny has the mounting for a shifter in 2 spots looks like e n b body

451cuda,the tranny as I stated is a august built unit of 69 which is a tranny to be use for a 70,since the trannys for that year were being built as of the first of july,mrmopartech

451cuda,the tranny as I stated is a august built unit of 69 which is a tranny to be use for a 70,since the trannys for that year were being built as of the first of july,mrmopartech
thanks for the help everyone but still confused this tranny has the 5.125 tb shaft aluminum case iron tail shaft this suggests it 2 be an od tranny right?doesnt have levers on it so cant tell if one is mounted upside down have side cover off how can i tell by looking at the gears any help sure be appreciated

thanks for the help everyone but still confused this tranny has the 5.125 tb shaft aluminum case iron tail shaft this suggests it 2 be an od tranny right?doesnt have levers on it so cant tell if one is mounted upside down have side cover off how can i tell by looking at the gears any help sure be appreciated

Do you have a digital camera? Post some pictures if you can...that would help a lot. If not you know it's a 4-speed right? If it all looks good on the inside I would go ahead and run it. Unless you are thinking about getting another one or something.

Yes I know, was just clarifying for him that it's for a '70 car, not a '69, because of the two shifter pads.

Do you have a digital camera? Post some pictures if you can...that would help a lot. If not you know it's a 4-speed right? If it all looks good on the inside I would go ahead and run it. Unless you are thinking about getting another one or something.
thanx for the reply m95 here are some pics

trans 024.JPE

trans 025.JPE

trans 028.JPE

I say run it... you'll have to shorten your drive shaft most likely.
that what im thinking run it. car has a 727 in it now maybe i'll get lucky n drive shaft will fit. it is an od trans can i change the ibr 2 a smaller one so i have more choices on bellhousings also where can i get shift tabs and shifter and linkages for this od tranny thanx

Summit should have the shifter and linkage kit you need or try Brewer's or Passon. It ain't cheap. You will also have to fab up a mount to put the shifter in the A body position, unless you really like banging your knuckles on the dash or having the shifter between the seats. Almost easier to swap the output shaft and tailhousing. The smallest bearing retainer you can put on the OD case is a 4.80" due to the spacing of the mounting bolts. That won't help you much since that retainer was only used on big blocks and hemis and wasn't produced in large numbers. There were plenty of OD bellhousings produced in both smallblock and slant configurations in F bodies (Aspen/Volare) and pickups/vans. Make sure you get the clutch fork with the bellhousing since they are a little bit different than the normal 4 speed one. Hope this helps.

Summit should have the shifter and linkage kit you need or try Brewer's or Passon. It ain't cheap. You will also have to fab up a mount to put the shifter in the A body position, unless you really like banging your knuckles on the dash or having the shifter between the seats. Almost easier to swap the output shaft and tailhousing. The smallest bearing retainer you can put on the OD case is a 4.80" due to the spacing of the mounting bolts. That won't help you much since that retainer was only used on big blocks and hemis and wasn't produced in large numbers. There were plenty of OD bellhousings produced in both smallblock and slant configurations in F bodies (Aspen/Volare) and pickups/vans. Make sure you get the clutch fork with the bellhousing since they are a little bit different than the normal 4 speed one. Hope this helps.
thanks for the info got some figuring out 2 do thanxs for the help great site!!

-
Back