Help, what Mopar Blue is this?!

-

Hyper72Valiant

Reaction score
I am now ready for paint on the '72 Valiant! Right now it will just be for under the hood so that I can get my 408 in and drive it a little this summer =P~ The interior will be blue as well and I plan on a white stripe in the rear. Question is, I don't know what blue I should use?! I have a few pics of some beautiful blue cars I like from MATS. I am pretty sure these are the same blue but I could be wrong. Also, if anyone thinks of another blue that would look killer please let me know! I am up for any suggestions.

i dont know what colour blue that is looks like a teal but idk BUT im painting my 65 cuda viper blue. i have colour code if wanted

Here's a friends 42 Plymouth in B5. Mike

100_5263.jpg

Beautiful cars guys! B5 blue, this may be a stupid question but...throughout the years did the name of the B5 blue change but the actual color stayed the same? Where can I find the paint chip/code so I can give it to my painter?

Beautiful cars guys! B5 blue, this may be a stupid question but...throughout the years did the name of the B5 blue change but the actual color stayed the same? Where can I find the paint chip/code so I can give it to my painter?

The code stayed the same but the color varied depending on the year. I believe they did call it different names depending on the year and whether it was used on a Dodge or Plymouth.
Your painter should have chips to look at, if not, the supplier should have. You will need to look at chips to determine which shade looks best to you. Try to look at actual chips, not a computer screen, as colors don't come across too good on a screen. (And, keep in mind chips aren't 100% accurate either.)
My collection of chips goes back to 1966!
Dallas

MOBodyman, you have some paint chips? What B5 blue do you think it is? If it's too much trouble no worries.

MOBodyman, you have some paint chips? What B5 blue do you think it is? If it's too much trouble no worries.

I'll try to remember to check my chips tomorrow. I believe it may be the early version you are looking for but I'm not sure. The color will be brighter than original when you clearcoat it.
Dallas

That would be great Dallas! Does anybody have any other ideas on what kind of blue would look good? Although I am pretty set on one of the B5's...

1969-1970 B5 was lighter than 1971-1972. The color changed again in '73 or '74. Looks more teal to my eyes.
My '05 PT Cruiser is B5 also (PB5 Electric Blue). I think it is a beautiful shade and I get lots of compliments on it. It's similar to the old colors but has more brilliance due to it having pearl in it and being a clearcoat color.
I'll try to remember to take a pic and post it.
Dallas

PT Cruiser in B5 blue, you have to post a pic Dallas that sounds too cool! I think I received a sign today...My August issue of Mopar Muscle came with only the front and back cover last week, nothing else. I called and they said they would send me a new one. I have been contemplating which B5 to use and today my July Mopar Muscle came and I didn't notice before but the front cover has a beautiful B5 Blue Superbee on it! I scrambled through the pages and that Superbee happens to be the exact Superbee from the 3rd pic I posted, I am not kidding!!! White interior, black six pack hood, orange engine, same rims, etc... :) I am tripping out so I rip to the next page and find out it is PPG Deltron B5 Blue!!!!! I have found it, I have found my blue :) Thanks to all those that have helped me narrow this down and Dallas feel free to post a pic of your PT Cruiser I gotta see it!

My 03 PT Cruiser is "Electric Blue" though I have never looked for the paint code. It is not the same blue as the B5 from 70's or the B5 they are advertising as an option on the new Challenger. The new Challenger B5 is closer to the 70's color.

BTW, in 68 they called the color "Fire Blue Mettalic" and the code was Q1.

Just to confuse everyone more the FJ5 Sub Lime Green on my Barracuda comes up as GM Fleet Green in the Dupont computer.

PT Cruiser in B5 blue, you have to post a pic Dallas that sounds too cool! I think I received a sign today...My August issue of Mopar Muscle came with only the front and back cover last week, nothing else. I called and they said they would send me a new one. I have been contemplating which B5 to use and today my July Mopar Muscle came and I didn't notice before but the front cover has a beautiful B5 Blue Superbee on it! I scrambled through the pages and that Superbee happens to be the exact Superbee from the 3rd pic I posted, I am not kidding!!! White interior, black six pack hood, orange engine, same rims, etc... :) I am tripping out so I rip to the next page and find out it is PPG Deltron B5 Blue!!!!! I have found it, I have found my blue :) Thanks to all those that have helped me narrow this down and Dallas feel free to post a pic of your PT Cruiser I gotta see it!

I'll take a pic of the PT soon and post it. Glad you found your color.
Dallas

Hyper, here's a pic of the Cruiser. Lots of clouds when I took this pic. It really pops in full sunshine.
Quick question for you, I know I need to lose the hubcaps, do you think the black aftermarket wheels with the blue stripe on the rim will look good?
Dallas

PT Cruiser(Small).JPG

hemizach...that's debatable. Sorry I didn't reply back sooner, it did not notify me of any responses in my email for some reason. I currently have the engine bay painted '70 B5 Blue and it looks amazing! When the sun hit's it you have to shield your eyes or go blind.
Dallas, you do need to lose the hubcaps, haha. I would need to see a picture of these rims you are talking about to get a better idea. I should start up a thread with pics and info on the resto. progress....hmmmm

1969-1970 B5 was lighter than 1971-1972. The color changed again in '73 or '74. Looks more teal to my eyes.
My '05 PT Cruiser is B5 also (PB5 Electric Blue). I think it is a beautiful shade and I get lots of compliments on it. It's similar to the old colors but has more brilliance due to it having pearl in it and being a clearcoat color.
I'll try to remember to take a pic and post it.
Dallas

Dad's a chevy guy through and through but I did get him to put a little mopar in to it. PB5 Electric Blue like Dallas's PT
Newwheels2.jpg

That looks like 1970 B5 Blue. It looks great in the sun. That's what I had mixed at the paint store for mine.

the pt cruiser electric blue has B5 in the code in the color books, it is a bad *** color, kind of loud though. inside my dart was b5 and i painted it with the electric blue. that **** is expensive. paint guy told me its the pearl in it. beats me.

the pt cruiser electric blue has B5 in the code in the color books, it is a bad *** color, kind of loud though. inside my dart was b5 and i painted it with the electric blue. that **** is expensive. paing guy told me its the pearl in it. beats me.

Yes the pearl makes it expensive but boy does it look great in the sun.
I went with the pearl tangerine cruiser color for my vert and a pint ran me $100 7 years ago (damn time flies, I really need to get that car done. Still haven't sanded and buffet that engine bay.)
IMG_3981.jpg

toplscuda, I can forgive your Dad for being a Chevy guy as sweet as that truck is! Beautiful!
Of course, my first vehicle was a '50 Chevy truck my Dad bought new. When I painted it way back in the day I chose '68 Dodge Electric Blue. :-D
Dallas

-
Back