HELP! What the heck is this?

-

318scamp74

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first A body (74 318 Scamp) This may be a stupid question...but what is this? and can it be eliminated? All my dash light went out last night and i suspect this to be the reason, it looks corroded.

scamp int 007.jpg

scamp int 008.jpg

That has a remenbalce (OUCH< SP!) to my wiper delay in my '79 Dodge.

NOT a stupid question though.

Look for a fuse, broken wire. Where did that come from?

It was mounted to the left of the steering column and to the right of my map light and rear defrost switches. (up inside the dash cavity though) Almost all my wiring goes through it.

Hummm, I'm a gonna go to My Duster an have a peak right now. BRB

rumblefish, I think your right. I think that is a wiper delay box. Did you just lose dash lights? see of your taillights still work also. sounds like a simple fuse to me

OUI! Busted my back looking for tha thing. Man is it ever hidden. I thought I was looosen my mind, like WTF? I don't have this thing?

My tail lights work, funny I tested it while I was there.

I just lost my fan for the heater. The main reason I put the Dodge back on the road. I'm no electrican and I"M SO reminded of it everytime I mess with wires. LOL (SOB SOB SOB)

My Duster doesn't have wiper delay. Just 2 speeds.

OH, what looks like it was located in the same spot, but on the dash nboard metal, Man that's in there tight. I'm not looking foward to wire problems. A buddy of mine showed me his Pain less set up. He said it just took some time, easy, just takes time. Thinking about it I am.

Yeah, i have a 2 speed wiper as well. Im confused....even if it was a delay whay would almost all my dash wiring go through it?

Hey Scamp. I have that same part underdash on my 74 Dart. It is not a relay. I can't find a part number in my FSM or in the 74 Chrysler Parts Catalog. I'll keep looking and get back to this post. In my opinion there are too many wires running into this box to pull it.

In your first picture at the 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00 positions there should be a plastic cover in those tabs. Do you have the cover?

Looks like a seatbelt interlock controller to me. One year only ('74) because of the headaches it caused. If the car starts and runs, very carefully put it back and leave it alone. Loss of dash lights is either a corroded connection on the instrument panel, all the bulbs are blown, or the rheostat in the light switch is bad. Could also be a blown brake light fuse. Your loss of temp gauge and fuel gauge is more than likely a bad instrument panel regulator. Lots of threads here on that subject if you do a search. Hope this helps.

I took and tossed the one from my 1974 Valiant the day after I got it (new in 1974 that is). If I remember right - if you just unplugged it, and I think you had to jumper one wire - not sure about the - you did not need it. It was a real pain car would not start if there was a package laying on the passenger side of the seat. My wife and I both wore belts then and just thought it was a stupid idea to make it impossible to start the car without fastening the buckles.

On the dash lights going out, the most likely candidate is the resistor on the headlight switch. The contact probably broke off or burned off. They were known to fail.

I do have the blue cover for the box. Ill Start with a new HL switch and go from there. Thanks for all the help.

-
Back