HELP!!!Wiring issue with 73 Dart Sport

-

Robin House

Reaction score
hi guys, So long story short. I replaced my alternator with a new one that has its own regulator. I also pulled out all wiring under my hood that was not connected and went no where. I was concerned about something catching on fire.
NOW.....
When I turn my key to start position, my MSD box looses power and car has no spark to start. Everything has power when key is in run position, but as soon as i turn it to start possition everything dies. I know this should happen, but the MSD still need power to spark. I wired in a push button so I can keep it in run possition and just jump power to trigger the starter but same thing happens. I wired it from battery to the button and back to starter relay. (Yellow wire)
Am I missing something simple here??

This is a very common problem here's how it works

You only have ONE source of switched power for "ignition run" also called "IGN1" under the hood

It powers the ignition system, alternator field, voltage regulator, electric choke if used, idle solenoid if used, and in some cars, some smog doo-dads.

THIS POWER GOES DEAD when the key is twisted to "start."

There is a SECOND power lead that is hot ONLY in the "start" position AND IT IS NOT the yellow start wire which activates the starter relay

This is a dedecated switch contact known as "IGN2" and is the coil resistor bypass circuit. It is normall brown and only goes one place............

Comes off the ignition switch, through the bulkhead connector, and goes to the coil+ side of the ballast resistor

=================================

What has happened is that in your stripping stuff out you left this hanging. You need to connect it to the blue "run" wires where you branched off to the MSD

IF YOU DON'T have one, go to MyMopar and download the 73 factory shop manual free. It and some other manuals over there came from the guys right here

Hey 67Dart273, thank a lot bud that was the issue. Found the wire connected it and it fired right up!
Now just got to figure out why she stumbles after a certain speed. Lol

-
Back