Help with 1964 Barracuda in dash speaker parts.

-

Witchboard

Reaction score
The Barracuda I'm working on has the radio, but nothing else. No speaker or mounting hardware. From what I've found on the forum, I'm going to need several pieces. The dash speaker mounting frame, some elevator bolts to mount the frame to the dash, a 6x9 speaker, but I'm not sure how to mount the speaker to the mounting frame. Do you just screw the speaker directly to the mounting frame? I haven't been able to find any pictures of everything together. Here's what I got... or don't.

IMG20230413223149.jpg

We have a member, @'74 Sport (Jerry) that makes a nice speaker bracket that holds two 3.5" modern speakers that bolts right in that location. I got one for my car and really like it.

Those two slotted holes you see in the photo use a stud with a retainer clip. That holds the speaker frame. Then the speaker is held to that with some screws. I got a replacement upgraded speaker from a place in Blaine MN......I'm trying to remember the name of the place. If you can't google them, let me know and I'll see if I can come up with their name. I can get you a photo of mine in a '66 if that helps you any.

Those two slotted holes you see in the photo use a stud with a retainer clip. That holds the speaker frame. Then the speaker is held to that with some screws. I got a replacement upgraded speaker from a place in Blaine MN......I'm trying to remember the name of the place. If you can't google them, let me know and I'll see if I can come up with their name. I can get you a photo of mine in a '66 if that helps you any.
I presume you're talking about Electro-Tech?

Yup, they're just some stamped steel, self threading type nuts that go on the defroster vent plastic studs.

The bracket cudamark has pictured in post #7 is part number 2217363. "Plate, Instrument Panel Speaker Mounting."
Those are for Darts and Valiants/Barracudas only. Mid size and full size cars show different part numbers for '64.
Google or Ebay may turn one up if you can't find one here on FABO. Or make one if you're not going for a 100 point restoration.

I've seen that, but the AM radio isn't stereo, so I thought it'd be a waste.
That's too bad. I think it's a waste not to put something more modern in when there are so many vintage looking options available. It broke my heart to cut my dash, but I'm glad I did. I have a nice stereo that matches the 1960s look to a tee and has AM, FM, CD, AUX, and MP3.

-
Back