Help with 360 noise

-

n00blike

Reaction score
Hello Guys and Gals,

It is that time of the year when I get to work on my car. I got her started up a few months back but didn't notice this noise since the exhaust was off.

I thought the valves needed adjusting so I went through and adjusted them according to some videos I saw on youtube. I started her up again and the sound was still there. Here is a video I took. What do you'll think?

[ame="http://youtu.be/72_MaFpoous"]http://youtu.be/72_MaFpoous[/ame]

It seems to be coming from the #8 cylinder. I did have an issue with water getting into that cylinder when the car was sitting about a year ago but I cleaned off the rust and sprayed it with some penetrating oil.

have you checked the torque converter bolts, it it's an auto, and you sure it ain't an exhaust leak? I'm hard of hearing so I couldn't hear the video to good, but I'm sure someone will chime in

As no poseur said, I would check the converter bolts along with the dust cover. It sounds like your flexplate may have a crack.

Bolt hitting, x 3 . Gets worse ,on the better custom built converters with bar stock.Relieved 2 blocks,same converter so far.

Once in my youth I lost a torque converter bolt and replaced it with a regular one lesson learned !

Once in my youth I lost a torque converter bolt and replaced it with a regular one lesson learned !

:eek:ops:

So there is a difference?

The original reason I had the car apart was because I hit a steep driveway going too fast. After that I got a metal rubbing sound (much much worse then the current sound). Turns out I didn't put loctite on the converter bolts. When I took it apart I got bolts and made sure to put loctite on them. But I guess I got the wrong bolts. :mumum:

:banghead: :sad2:

Ok so where would one get the right bolts for a 360 to 904 auto trans?
I have no idea what kind of converter I have.

I appreciate all the help!

yes the correct bolts look like someone ground half the head off them .sometimes when you use a regular bolt the head will hit the back of the block or front trans cover, when running. been there and done it. also I've seen when the engine thrust bearing has gotten loose ,with the crankshaft in /out movement causing same problem with the right bolts in place.

:eek:ops:

So there is a difference?

The original reason I had the car apart was because I hit a steep driveway going too fast. After that I got a metal rubbing sound (much much worse then the current sound). Turns out I didn't put loctite on the converter bolts. When I took it apart I got bolts and made sure to put loctite on them. But I guess I got the wrong bolts. :mumum:

:banghead: :sad2:

Ok so where would one get the right bolts for a 360 to 904 auto trans?
I have no idea what kind of converter I have.

I appreciate all the help!

The last set I got came from the dealer, believe it or not, they could still get them. the converter shouldn't make a difference, should be same as factory.

Not always. Some use a thick bar stock,for the converter to flex plate mounts. Mine are like 5/8 " ths thick.

I'm sure I have a good set of factory converter bolts PM me if your interested.

Ohh man, I had already ordered them, maybe next time.

I loosened the transmission dust cover and ran the engine for a bit. The noise got a hell of a lot worse. So your guy's diagnosis was correct!

Next week ill pot the correct bolts on...i hope. :blob:

Well factory converter bolts helped the noise a bit but it turned out the trans dust cover was bent in the hole where the starter goes. I had to pull it out to finally see where it was bent. Anyways ill be buying another duster cover. Just wanted to put a solution on this thread.

-
Back