Help with 489 Sure Grip gear ratio options

-

67CudaBob

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding any new gear sets for an 8-3/4 489 Sure Grip that are more highway friendly than 3.55.

I assume lower ratios were available from the factory, but I suspect there is not much aftermarket demand for highway gears.

Does anyone know if they are made and who sells them?

Thank you

Your only option is to find a good used set of 3.23 or 2.94 or 2.76 gears. I have a few sets of 2.76.

3:23 is the best choice, either open or sure grip. everybody want a suregrip, but in normal driving conditions you don't need them. 3:23 489 cases are around.

You could prob find a good used complete diff, with hiway gears, you could prob go open,, for less than a new set of gears,, and leave that beautiful 3:55 suregrip complete,, jmo

Zoom is the only company I know of that EVER made any in the aftermarket. They used to make all the way down to the 3.23 but they don't anymore.

Oh and I have a 741 case with a 2.94 open I can send you for 200 shipped if you want it. It's very clean and in good shape.

You could prob find a good used complete diff, with hiway gears, you could prob go open,, for less than a new set of gears,, and leave that beautiful 3:55 suregrip complete,, jmo

That makes some good sense - current plans for the car do not require a sure grip or the higher ratio, but in time I might like to take the car to performanceville, and then I could pop the 3.55 sure grip back in.

Oh and I have a 741 case with a 2.94 open I can send you for 200 shipped if you want it. It's very clean and in good shape.

If I go that route, I will let you know - as I am sure that would do the trick for the car currently.

I am having trouble finding any new gear sets for an 8-3/4 489 Sure Grip that are more highway friendly than 3.55.

I assume lower ratios were available from the factory, but I suspect there is not much aftermarket demand for highway gears.

Does anyone know if they are made and who sells them?

Thank you

If you are interested, I can find you a good set of these. They were standard equipment for 340 darts, 383 roadrunners GTX etc

-
Back