Help with '71 Dart Disc Brake Conversion in San Diego

-

jalake

Reaction score
Hi!

I've recently purchased a '71 Dart Swinger w/ a 225 Slant 6. Great car, pretty decent shape and I have every intention of turning it into a daily driver. To that end, I really need to do something about the brakes. Manual drum all around currently.

I'd like to do a front conversion, but I'm not sure all of what I'll need. I've looked at some of the kits and that seems to be the way to go for me, but I don't know if I'll need to get new spindles or anything else to go with the kit.

Just got the car last weekend, so I don't even know if I have 9 or 10 inch drums. Let's assume they are 9" (because nothing is every easy)

I've looked at the "Right Stuff" kits and the SSBC kits. the Right Stuff kits appear to include spindles. Would these work with my small bolt pattern 14" wheels?

At the end of all of this, I don't even have a driveway to attempt to work on this project, so I'd love to find a mechanic in the San Diego area that would install or help me install said conversion.

Sorry for the length of the post. I'm getting myself overwhelmed by too many online articles.

-J

scarebird brakes is the cheapest easiest route to disc brakes, works with 9" or 10" drum spindles and uses all over the counter parts (except caliper adapters)

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'm looking at the wheel kit they have for my car. I'm assuming that I'll need a power brake booster, master cylinder and portioning valve in addition. Would that be correct?

-J

Disc brakes don't have to be power brakes.
Some owners have installed power boosters then later followed it with a cam that doesn't support it.

You can check local bone yards for 73 and up A bodies for disc brakes & U CA FMJ body
spindles other parts are interchangeable also

PM me if you want access to good mechanic in the San Diego area. He will come to you, and I am not sure where you are in SD, but he lives in Jamul.

Mopar resto expert. He can also meet with you and give you options based upon your budget, or likely answer some questions on the phone.

Oh, and welcome!

Let me know,
Shane

Hi!

I've recently purchased a '71 Dart Swinger w/ a 225 Slant 6. Great car, pretty decent shape and I have every intention of turning it into a daily driver. To that end, I really need to do something about the brakes. Manual drum all around currently.

I'd like to do a front conversion, but I'm not sure all of what I'll need. I've looked at some of the kits and that seems to be the way to go for me, but I don't know if I'll need to get new spindles or anything else to go with the kit.

Just got the car last weekend, so I don't even know if I have 9 or 10 inch drums. Let's assume they are 9" (because nothing is every easy)

I've looked at the "Right Stuff" kits and the SSBC kits. the Right Stuff kits appear to include spindles. Would these work with my small bolt pattern 14" wheels?

At the end of all of this, I don't even have a driveway to attempt to work on this project, so I'd love to find a mechanic in the San Diego area that would install or help me install said conversion.

Sorry for the length of the post. I'm getting myself overwhelmed by too many online articles.

-J

I used the SSBC kit on my '71 Dart GT. The kit has everything you need and has very good instructions. I chose SSBC because I wanted to keep my 14" x 5 1/2" SBP (5 on 4") Rallye Wheels (I have a 3.23:1 sure-grip 8 3/4" SBP rear as well (from the factory)).
Good luck!

Hi!

-J

There is a 70 Plymouth Valiant in a junk yard in Bloomington that has disc brakes on it. there still there.

I used the SSBC kit on my '71 Dart GT. The kit has everything you need and has very good instructions. I chose SSBC because I wanted to keep my 14" x 5 1/2" SBP (5 on 4") Rallye Wheels (I have a 3.23:1 sure-grip 8 3/4" SBP rear as well (from the factory)).
Good luck!

Cool. I was looking that kit yesterday. I would prefer to keep my 14" wheel and hubcaps for sure. Kinda going for the old man mobile look at the moment. :)

-J

-
Back