Help with a Leak under the car.

-

Frank8256

Frank8256
Reaction score
I am a novice. I have a 64 plymouth valiant signet with the slant six. I have a leak that has gotten worse. I use to have a service manual, but unable to find it. The leak is coming from the seam of a compartment behind the engine. I am not sure if it is oil, transmission fluid or brake fluid. I noticed that the brake fluid had gone down, since the last time I filled it about two weeks ago. I know I am probably not given enough information, but I thought I would take a chance. Thanks!

Now that I have looked at it closer, It looks like oil. It is brownish clear color. Would that be the oil pan there or possibly something else?

you just need to find out if its dripping from around the pan , or dripping down from the master cylinder. love chasin drips lol

go to the local car wash clean off the engine /tranny the best you can--- then go home & see where the drip originates from. that car could have many drips-- let us know , Lawrence

Now that you mention the master cylinder, that looks like a possibility. Seems to be fluid below the master cylinder. Thanks for your help.

Now that you mention the master cylinder, that looks like a possibility. Seems to be fluid below the master cylinder. Thanks for your help.
there is a rubber seal for the lid, im not sure what type you have but the lid may not be sealing up and leaking, therefore would explain why you are having to add fluid, and the drips

If brake fluid, it will remove the paint. That is why most cars are rusty underneath the master cylinder, plus the exhaust usually runs under there. Once you fix it, de-rust and paint (500 F engine paint). Indeed, I was just doing that last night on my 64 slant while I have parts out of the way.

Most likely it's the rear seal in the master cylinder between the power brake booster and master cyl.
If not power brakes then between the master and firewall.
Either way it's got to come off.

Could just be the cover seal though. (pics are worth,,,,)
Ah, another one of those we can't see for ourselves. (Bummer)

Oh, and one note to mention.
I have been known to taste fluid from under a car just to see exactly what it is, and brake fluid is REALLY bitter.
Just spit it out a few times.

Motor oil just tastes like oil and not bitter.

Most likely it's the rear seal in the master cylinder between the power brake booster and master cyl.
If not power brakes then between the master and firewall.
Either way it's got to come off.

Could just be the cover seal though. (pics are worth,,,,)
Ah, another one of those we can't see for ourselves. (Bummer)

Oh, and one note to mention.
I have been known to taste fluid from under a car just to see exactly what it is, and brake fluid is REALLY bitter.
Just spit it out a few times.

Motor oil just tastes like oil and not bitter.

lmao hehe

I know for a fact that it can be changed in car on a 65 with a 225. Congrats on finding it and good luck.

I was wondering if anyone was going to ask. :D

Let me explain it so I don't sound like an idiot.

1. Engine oil tastes kinda like cooking oil with burnt stuff in it.
2. Power steering (the atf stuff) tastes like it has been stressed plus a tint of chemical.
3. brake fluid is bitter and dries your tounge out (kind of a nasty cottonmouth)
4. Gear oil has a heavy nasty, chemical, stressed, armpit kinda taste.

Got it?

That should resolve any questions about tasting your driveway, as well as any questions about my sanity right.

:D:burnout:

So I'm guessing it wasn't bitter?

4. Gear oil has a heavy nasty, chemical, stressed, armpit kinda taste.

Now is that high school locker armpit or is it a different flavor of armpit. Maybe I should start a club and charge admission for blindfolded armpit taste testing.:dink:

-
Back