Help with AC Identification? What is it?

-

65Frankiem

Reaction score
Another Dumb question from a GM guy with new Mopar.
Please help with info on this system Factory? Dealer option? Ideas? Input? Worth keeping?
Just purchaced this a little 65 Barracuda

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 045.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 227
Factory air. Worth keeping if you can make it work. toolmanmike

I thought i noticed another 65 pictured in this forum, with owner saying factory a/c and it looked very different. Which has me guessing.
Frank

I don't know if there is any difference in "factory installed" or "dealer installed". Your under dash unit loos like it is a "Chrysler Airtemp" unit and the compressor and lines are all Mopar.
The 65' ac units I've seen were under dash units. In 66 they incorporated the controls in the dash with the heater controls and had the vents along the bottom of the dash. May be some 67 and newer owners can tell us when the ac vents went into the dash. tmm

I don't know if there is any difference in "factory installed" or "dealer installed". Your under dash unit loos like it is a "Chrysler Airtemp" unit and the compressor and lines are all Mopar.
The 65' ac units I've seen were under dash units. In 66 they incorporated the controls in the dash with the heater controls and had the vents along the bottom of the dash. May be some 67 and newer owners can tell us when the ac vents went into the dash. tmm

Factory 67 to 69 A-Bodies still had a single center vent hung under the dash. Controls for factory AC is in the dash and controls the plenum.

Here is a tid bit of good information for options on the 1965 Barracuda.
65_Barracuda_2.jpg

I have been surfing pictures in this forum of 65 Barracuda's and what has led to my a/c confussion is I see 65's with push button a/c controls in dash, only 3 small under dash vents and all pics show same compressor running dual belts. I was thinking that mine might have been a dealer installed factory kit of sorts. I will keep it in car, as I would like to believe it's a period item, just when I cruise a local hot spot, I would like to know exactly what I have.. Thank you for your help.

In the '65 owners manual, they show 2 options: factory a/c with integrated controls on the dash for heat & defrost and the chrome vents, and "cool air" dealer-installed a/c. Both will freeze you out.:cheers:

I have a 65 Dart with Factory AC and it doesn't look anything like that. Both the interior vents and the under the hood plumbing are totally different. Your picture doesn't show the heater controls. AC cars have a push button vacuum operated control. I believe non AC cars are horizontal sliders.

The evaporator in my car is part of the heater duct work. I'm betting your evaporator is in the under dash unit.

Maybe dealer installed?

I would upload some pictures, but I have mine all dissasembeled.

goldfish65 has the right answer. Checked my owners manual and the picture matches your picture for the dealer installed AC.

-
Back