Help with bee, wasp or MONSTER Hornet!!

-
be happy you dont have tarantula hawks... now there is something to be afraid of... and these really are 4" long lol...

tarantula+hawk.jpg

We've had Cicada killers around here for as long as I can remember. Never knew what they were for yrs. and never once had one try to sting me. The first time I saw one I was like you cause bee/wasp stings sometimes produce an alergic reaction on me and those things sure are intimidating to look at.

BTW: if you don't have anything handy to fend off a bee/wasp brake or carb cleaner works pretty good. I even killed a snake (a 2-3' cottonmouth) with a can of brake cleaner.

Just think if you did get a male cicada killer mad enough there might not be an injury but damn the indignity of be stabbed by a wasp ***** i don't care who u are thats flipping funny right there!

add a bic lighter to the mix.....much more exciting :cheers:
We've had Cicada killers around here for as long as I can remember. Never knew what they were for yrs. and never once had one try to sting me. The first time I saw one I was like you cause bee/wasp stings sometimes produce an alergic reaction on me and those things sure are intimidating to look at.

BTW: if you don't have anything handy to fend off a bee/wasp brake or carb cleaner works pretty good. I even killed a snake (a 2-3' cottonmouth) with a can of brake cleaner.

I remember seeing something when I lived in Arkansas that resembled a flying shotgun shell in size.. burnt reddish head, with balck and yellow sections after.. never found out what it was but it sure scared the hell out of me!
Gas down the hole? How about a flamethrower.....?!

Mopar all the way baby!! It's a " Super Bee " I was waiting for someone to call that one

If you have a 4" wasp family in your yard you better book a flight from Tokyo because this is a job for Godzilla.

Sounds like ground hornets or some kind of yellow jackets. Probably, given the size though, I'd say ground hornets. I can't say for sure, and it seems as you've identified it as a more passive insect, but the big, brown ground hornets are VERY aggressive. Yellow jackets too. We have both. Really sucks when you run a mower over the top of one of their holes, because the vibrations anger them.

To whoever said something about the Cow Cutter/Cow Killer ants, those things are freaking scary in their pupa form. They look like red, furry bumble bees with no wings. And they make noises. We caught one in a water bottle and it growl/squealed at us. I **** you not.

yepp don't let the little ones fool you thay are pretty smart..I used to paint in my dads garage and this one kept stalking me,I painted him white, he would try to sneak up behind me and kept catching him finally I put enough paint on him to down him....he was gonna git me!!!!

Totally did the same thing to a dirt dobber that was harassing me. I wasn't scared of him though, they're docile, just annoyed. And I painted him black.

If you have a 4" wasp family in your yard you better book a flight from Tokyo because this is a job for Godzilla.

Japan already has those. They're called something like Suzemebachi. Here's a video of some of them murdering a bee hive.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BHEkjBDWKs"]30 Japanese Hornets Battle 30,000 Bees. EPIC MUSIC - YouTube[/ame]

I have accidentally run into a yellow jacket, bumble bee, and ground wasp/hornet nest over the past number of years usually working on the yard. I am alergic, but not the life threatening level, so I go on hunts for them in late fall/early spring. I find their nests, kill them, their siblings, friends, and pets. My family laughs about my intense war but never complain because they don't get stung. Bumble bees will attack and are smart. Some teenagers taught me to use a tennis racket, (they don't see the nylon strings) to kill them. I was on my back deck, minding my own business sanding down a piece of my Mopar when they last attacked. Tennis racket worked. Later, not knowing the nest was under my front bay window when using the weed eater, the nest of bumble bees got me. They even stung the heck out of the weed eater as it laying running on the ground. I ran toward the street, stomping and scraping them off as 8 of them got me. Some neighbors watched and said, "Are bee's attacking you? Duh... The wasp spray was almost ineffective against the bumblers. I used it to suppress them. Gasoline in the hole worked on the rest but dangerous. I have used Acetone and denatured alcohol on bumble bee nests too. I had the same giant ground wasp/hornet problem in front yard and looked like what you described. I was out of spray from my last war and used WD40 and it worked! Good luck. If I was in the neighborhood, I'd be happy to help you.

The worst thing is when you leave your project car sitting a few weeks, and it's been colonized when you come back.

The worst thing is when you leave your project car sitting a few weeks, and it's been colonized when you come back.

X2

My Duster is a New Mexico car. When I got it I was crawling inside and under it to evaluate the condition of the car. I found empty wasp nests (mud type) in the frame rails, the fresh air vents, and behind the kick panels. I sometimes wonder how the owner got rid of them before he sold the car or if he left it up to the buyer.

X2

My Duster is a New Mexico car. When I got it I was crawling inside and under it to evaluate the condition of the car. I found empty wasp nests (mud type) in the frame rails, the fresh air vents, and behind the kick panels. I sometimes wonder how the owner got rid of them before he sold the car or if he left it up to the buyer.
The mud kind are Dirt Dobbers. They're non-hostile, and they just lay eggs in the mud nests. Once the young hatch and eat the spiders there, they split too. So that's why they were empty. They don't guard their nests like red wasps do. And red-wasps /love/ a good fender to hide under.

Here's something I learned several years ago, I had a bunch of hornets in my gargae & I didn't have any bug spray & I didn't want to spray anything flammable in my garage, so I grabbed the first thing I saw, Lemon Pledge Furniture wax aerosol. It drops 'em like Mike Tyson. I don't know if it gums up their wings or lungs or what, but once they're down, you just step on 'em.:blob:
(Plus it leaves a lemony fresh scent! lol)

Here's something I learned several years ago, I had a bunch of hornets in my gargae & I didn't have any bug spray & I didn't want to spray anything flammable in my garage, so I grabbed the first thing I saw, Lemon Pledge Furniture wax aerosol. It drops 'em like Mike Tyson. I don't know if it gums up their wings or lungs or what, but once they're down, you just step on 'em.:blob:
(Plus it leaves a lemony fresh scent! lol)

I've used hairspray to kill a nest before. They just fell out of the air and crawled around angrily.

-
Back