help with carb options

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I am building a 360 stroked to a 408 for a 66 Dart. 904 trans 3:91 gears. 10:1 pistons with .575 solid roller. I found an old edelbrock tunnel ram 2x4 setup that included 600 volleys. Came with kits to rebuild them so I took the first one apart and the carbs are in rough shape. Lots of old deposits from old fuel sitting and drying in them. I soaked them overnight and I plan on soda blasting them before I put them back together. The bowls have lost there glow as in the finish has come off. Not sure how they will work as they are probably 20+ years old. So if I have problems with them what brand / sizes of carbs are others using with similar setups. Also any suggestions with the carbs I have.
Thanks Rod

When I get home tonight I will get the numbers off and list them. Of course they are so small that at my age I will need to find a magnifying glass!
Rod

Carb Numbers as follows:
List-1850
These are the series of numbers on the main body.
Wondering what power valve should be in them and what jets to start with. The jets that came out of it are 65's the power valve I could not read the number on it.
Also, is there a recommendation on what and where to buy good linkage and which way to mount the carbs front to back or sideways?
Thanks
Rod

One thing I forgot to ask, the vacuum fitting on the metering plate. Where can I get those? Mine have bolts in them being used as a plug. If I get the correct fittings and dont need them I can use rubber plugs on the ends. I will need one for each carb.
Thanks
Rod

universal fit 600 cfm vacuum secondary carbs.

The ported vac fitting is a pipe thread to nipple, maybe 1/8" npt

Eastwood sells some stuff to put the finish back on carbs. Not the same color as teh factory plating, but close.

OK, a few follow up questions to my original post. If these carbs dont work out what other carbs are a good option? Edlebrocks? Rochesters, back with new Holleys? What are others using? Also what are the recommendations for linkage, synchronized or progressive?
Also where can I get info on what original size jets the 600's had in them new along with the power valve that they came with?
Thanks
Rod

Spread-bores are always a good option IMO, love my q-jet. Whatever you get, learn to tune that sucker within an inch of it's life. Get a cheap A/F gauge like the innovate LC-1, and go at it like a wolf on a carcass.

rod7515 Holley information at http//forums.holley.com section on carburetors and fuel pumps FAQ Holley numerical listing . Has all the spec.s you will need

On thursday I took one of the carbs apart and soaked it in carb cleaner for 2 days. Now these two carbs have been sitting for at least 10 years according to the person I got them from and they were also painted black. The cleaner took most of the paint off it but the varnish and grime didnt all come off. So today I soda blasted the parts then rinsed them off. WOW, did they ever come clean. I am hoping to put this one together monday or tuesday. If I cant get it done either of those 2 days its going to have to wait until I get back from the Hot Rod power tour.
Rodney

-
Back