Help with Classes/Rules in drag racing

-

swifter

Reaction score
First please have patience with as I ask a bunch of questions,I'm completely new to the world of drag racing and I hope I get good answers from you guy's!!!!!!!

-I'm having problems figuring out some class rules out of the N.H.R.A rule book,Mostly dealing with Pro and Super Pro under section 4 A in the book,
Questions:
1-Can U use a delay box in the pro class??? or does the track decide that???

2-Can you use a Air or electric shifter in Pro/Super pro class,I can't find anything defining a air/electric shifter??

3-Do any of you run both in Pro/Super pro class on any given weekend or is it too expensive to do so.

4- How many of you in Pro class have gotten your N.H.R.A. license or do you not even bother with it since it's not a requirement.

5-Can a Transbrake be used in Pro class???? WHat about a step launch control???

6-I want to install a two bank Fast air/fuel monitor is this considered a Data recorder as they state in section 4 A-group 9 ???? It only monitors fuel/air ratio's with a play back function????

Thanks Guy's More to come--Steve (A.K.A.swifter) W.B.C. Racing

First please have patience with as I ask a bunch of questions,I'm completely new to the world of drag racing and I hope I get good answers from you guy's!!!!!!!

-I'm having problems figuring out some class rules out of the N.H.R.A rule book,Mostly dealing with Pro and Super Pro under section 4 A in the book,
Questions:
1-Can U use a delay box in the pro class??? or does the track decide that???

2-Can you use a Air or electric shifter in Pro/Super pro class,I can't find anything defining a air/electric shifter??

3-Do any of you run both in Pro/Super pro class on any given weekend or is it too expensive to do so.

4- How many of you in Pro class have gotten your N.H.R.A. license or do you not even bother with it since it's not a requirement.

5-Can a Transbrake be used in Pro class???? WHat about a step launch control???

6-I want to install a two bank Fast air/fuel monitor is this considered a Data recorder as they state in section 4 A-group 9 ???? It only monitors fuel/air ratio's with a play back function????

Thanks Guy's More to come--Steve (A.K.A.swifter) W.B.C. Racing

Lisa and I both run pro.There are no delay boxes or throttle stops allowed.our track does not allow you to run Pro and Super pro on the same day unless you have two cars.
At our track we can run an electric shifter, two step and a transbrake. You can run a wide band 02 sensor with no problems.

Thanks Steve--So even though there are rules,The tracks decide what you can and cannot do within a given class???? Also Steve thanks for the PM it all helps--Steve

Rules say NO computers unless OEM only for Pro class. The track I run at lets you run Pro and Super Pro the same day and same car but you cant have a delay box in the car for Pro if you run one in S/Pro.

SO do you disconnect it???? or the box has to be removed from the vehicle??? Steve

The delay box has to set at 0000

Getting a licence is more for if your car go's under 10 seconds.
But it doesn't hurt to do the blind test even if you don't ever have to use it.
Buy all the safety gear you can afford.

This guy runs in the ten's buy has the safety gear for running to 8.50
I pulled him out of his car at the pink's 09 qualifying pass.

I don't feel safe not running all my gear when I go down the track now.
I'll make a run in my 8 second car and jump in the trainer car and don't care what other people think.
And they have asked me about that.
I bet the guy was happy he had a fire suit on when his car was on fire.

Right on Womanator--This is my son driving so I'm making him even though he doesn't need it to do the full suit,Full face helmet,Neck collar and whatever else I can make him wear--Safety,Safety Safety

To run Pro and Super Pro around here you have to physically remove the delay box. The guys that do that hook the boxes up with quick disconnect plugs on the wiring. Some use Velcro to hold the boxes in place.

So no one has responded to the air/electric shifter question???? Also last night reading the N.H.R.A. book i found the section on super street cars??????? Does nayone run in this class and if not WHY?????? Thanks Steve

So no one has responded to the air/electric shifter question???? Also last night reading the N.H.R.A. book i found the section on super street cars??????? Does nayone run in this class and if not WHY?????? Thanks Steve

air/electric shifters are allowed in Pro or Super Pro at least in Division 7...

Super pro and Pro rules are usually set by the track and all have different names
Steve if want to run with an air shifter or electric/pneumatic shifter then look at the NHRA entry level class Super Street they run off a 10.90 index and they run this class at most regional and national NHRA events

super pro and pro you can run either a electric or a air shifter, we only go racing super pro when there is no div. 1 points races , to run pro the box has to be physically out of the car. our cuda, before we were running nhra a lot, it ran mid 9s and its always been certified to 8:50 this year I'm making him put a funny car cage in and add more gussets to make it more safe, the car now runs all out, 8:70s but we rarely run it all out,only when were not doing supergas, but still , better be safe than sorry

Not sure if anyone answered this one so....Yes, you can run a transbrake and 2-step in Pro or Super Pro, or you can footbrake.

Ok thanks guy's-I'm going to show my stupidness here right now but this is a lot to take in just starting out,When you say 10.90 index--What does that mean??? thanks Steve

The jest of is the closer you run to 10.90 without going faster and if you take the stripe first you win

-
Back