Help with Engine Block Numbers

-

m99roadster

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if my engine came with this car. I have a 68
Dart 4 door 270 with a 273 the numbers on the front of the block under the drivers side head are 22651740 PM 273R. I understand the 273 but what does the rest of it mean are they part of the VIN?

I'm trying to figure out if my engine came with this car. I have a 68
Dart 4 door 270 with a 273 the numbers on the front of the block under the drivers side head are 22651740 PM 273R. I understand the 273 but what does the rest of it mean are they part of the VIN?

No, the vin number will be on the left side on the bell housing flange on the block or possibly right hand side just above the oil pan rail

2265= build date of April 10 1968
1740 = 1740th engine produced that date
PM= Mound Road Plant
273= cu. in.
R= Regular Fuel

Roy got it right.

It's probably DM with the D representing 1968.

The numbers i've posted are indeed correct. Thanks to all for the great info, i haven't had a chance to get under the car to check out the vin number on the block. If in fact its the original engine i will have it rebuilt.

Roy...I wasn't implying you're wrong....it was just the first thing I thought of when I saw his numbers.:prayer:

No I wasn't offended, Matter of fact I thought the same thing as most block numbers are usually in the hundreds as to the amount made on any date. So I had to go looking for info myself.

The numbers i've posted are indeed correct. Thanks to all for the great info, i haven't had a chance to get under the car to check out the vin number on the block. If in fact its the original engine i will have it rebuilt.

They didn't start stamping the oil pan rail with the yr., plant and last 6 of the vin until 69. Your 68 willl have the numbers stamped on the top rear of the block close to where the trans bolts to it, The trans should be stamped the same place except on the trans.

According to the link, Chrysler produced 496,900 engines in 1997 from that one plant, plus other items.

That comes to 1361 engines a day if production went on for 24/7/365 days a year. That incredible.

If you look at it a little more realistically, say 2000 operating hours a year per shift x 3 shifts or a total of 6000 hours a year almost 83 engines an hour. If you subtract 1.5 hours a day per shift for coffee breaks and lunch the number per hour gets even higher. Add to that the required down time for maintenance, service, and repair of equipment, material delays, shift start up and endings, and other stoppages, and we are easily looking at more than 100 units per hour. (1.6 engines per minute!).

I had no idea they had that kind of capacity.

...btw, 2000 hours per year per shift accounts for a 5 day work week, a week of vacation time and 6 holidays. I understand that the UAW had a better arrangement than that, but it's a valid number to estimate from.

Sorry to get off topic, here....

According to the link, Chrysler produced 496,900 engines in 1997 from that one plant, plus other items.

That comes to 1361 engines a day if production went on for 24/7/365 days a year. That incredible.

If you look at it a little more realistically, say 2000 operating hours a year per shift x 3 shifts or a total of 6000 hours a year almost 83 engines an hour. If you subtract 1.5 hours a day per shift for coffee breaks and lunch the number per hour gets even higher. Add to that the required down time for maintenance, service, and repair of equipment, material delays, shift start up and endings, and other stoppages, and we are easily looking at more than 100 units per hour. (1.6 engines per minute!).

I had no idea they had that kind of capacity.

...btw, 2000 hours per year per shift accounts for a 5 day work week, a week of vacation time and 6 holidays. I understand that the UAW had a better arrangement than that, but it's a valid number to estimate from.

Sorry to get off topic, here....

Bored eh? That is too funny!

-
Back